Author Topic: Four being finished.  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Four being finished.
« on: June 29, 2020, 03:27:51 pm »
Four being finished.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bassman

Re: Four being finished.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 04:15:18 pm »
Wow  Arvin you made a  great looking bow their. If it shoots like it looks you've got a ringer.

Offline Will B

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 07:19:34 pm »
That is four beautiful selfbows right there!  Thanks for sharing

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:22:14 pm »
Looks like you've been busy, Arvin. Very nice work.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 10:46:46 pm »
Love that row, they're standing like soldiers  8) 8) 8)
A great opportunity to compare some features, like different thickness or slight different taper, etc.

Let's see more of them!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 03:23:07 am »
The snaky bow is is the one I refer to, but they are all awesome. I also like your arrow shelves. Nice, and deep.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 03:51:40 am »
Beautiful bows but why, why and once more, why those slots (arrow shelves)? Selfbows work fine and look better without those features copied from modern bows.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 07:08:52 am »
Lehtos you probably never shot one so you don’t know the difference. They just shoot better. That style selfbow wins world championships and breaks world records. That’s the reason I do it. Not to be cool ,just facts . Now you are going to here you just need to know how to tune them meaning selfbows without shelf’s. That is the best way to tune  them from the get go.  But everyone has their opinion.   Arvin
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:17:37 am by Selfbowman »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 09:09:07 am »
I think either way has won world ,, national,, and state championships,,
both are beautiful,, if your an artist,, make what you want,,

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:33 am »
Brad 5 out of the last 7 years that’s what have won. Last year at IBO trads they covered the podium . The first year James Hicks shot 459 on 60 targets . I think that’s the highest selfbow score in IBO history. Please correct me if I’m wrong. But  you are right to each his own!! That’s why I’m the odd ball.😳😁😁Arvin
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:41:12 am by Selfbowman »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 10:05:54 am »
great stats,, of course the shooter has alot to do with it too, :)
back in the day my bows won world ,, national and state shoots,, I cant remember which ones had shelf or not,, I made  both,,,, just boils down to which bow the guys want to shoot, they can tell what is best for their style,,
I always think about the scores shot with  English style longbows,, so I just dont discount what a really great shooter can do with a well made bow,, I just make bows for fun now,, those are beautiful,, best to you and your bow making

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 10:21:58 am »
Lehtos you probably never shot one so you don’t know the difference. They just shoot better.

I like bows with shelves (and often rests as well  :o), so don't take this as a challenge from a hater.

Can you quantify 'better'? I think there is no arguing that the closer to center shot a bow is the less arrow spine is critical and the more forgiving it is of errors on the archers part. Is this where you are going with it?

Mark

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 11:24:14 am »
Lehtos you probably never shot one so you don’t know the difference. They just shoot better.

I like bows with shelves (and often rests as well  :o), so don't take this as a challenge from a hater.

Can you quantify 'better'? I think there is no arguing that the closer to center shot a bow is the less arrow spine is critical and the more forgiving it is of errors on the archers part. Is this where you are going w

They are more forgiving that’s all. You add that to being a long bow and a force draw that starts 2# per inch of draw and end with 2# per inch and they are a pleasure to shoot. My caul is very similar to the one at twin oaks. Maybe a tad longer. I have done nothing new. I personally don’t like to shoot from my knuckle.  Arvin

Mark

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 11:36:00 am »
Mark no I don’t worry about haters. If we was to meet and spend 2hours talking bows I am pretty sure there would be no hate at all. Just a common love of bow making . Arvin

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 12:00:57 pm »
Nice work on those bows Arvin, I finally got back to building after a few years off. Kicked my butt for the first few days, I had to take a lot of breaks. Using all hand tools for the exercise. Finished up a nice one this morning, not much to look at but shoots good.