Author Topic: Any bowyers/enthusiests close to Toronto/Scarborough Ontario  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Joshuakokkinias

This is a complete shot in the dark, but I have had some crushing failures with the last few bows I have attempted to make and I would love to meet up with a fellow enthusiests or even a pro. I need serious guidence since I am down to my last stave, Just tonight I snapped a Shugar maple stave/bow whilst in the early stages of tillering.

I have a THICK Elm stave left with minimal twist, and I would rather pay $ for someone's guidence at their shop or home shop before starting. I have my own hand tools and stave so I won't be touching anyone's stuff but my own. I just need someone local who knows a thing or two to over see my embarrassing craftsmanship.

Far as I'm aware the only reputable ontario bowyer who deals in primitive bows lives 3 hours from me in the middle of no where. Pretty sure that guy would also not apreciate me barging in on his peaceful life lol. So if you live in or near Toronto and wouldn't mind a youngster like my self asking questions and working maybe a few hours in your shop I would be happy to pay for your time!

Offline PatM

Re: Any bowyers/enthusiests close to Toronto/Scarborough Ontario
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 06:00:37 am »
 I live just west of that area. 

Offline Joshuakokkinias

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 09:43:08 pm »
Do you mind me asking where abouts? You could message me and i can give contact info i really want this elm stave to turn out perfect

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 10:03:46 pm »
Do you mind me asking where abouts? You could message me and i can give contact info i really want this elm stave to turn out perfect

Whitby.   I can see Toronto from the hill near my house.  Send me a pm.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 12:44:18 pm »
The was a guy on here that went by bubbles from that area...I think pat may know him?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 01:40:02 pm »
Yes, I've been to see him and provided a few staves.  He's right in Toronto.

Offline Joshuakokkinias

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 12:31:52 am »
Well i gave you my contact in your inbox looking forward to having someone help me teller a bow *i am terrible at it*. Also if anyone can contact Bubbles, i would like to be in contact with anyone near toronto especially for trading or buying. Its insane how much shipping from US is, so i got cash for turkey feathers, river cane shafts, old field points, a tillering tree, shave horse, skins ect. If you from toronto id rather trade/buy local. Plus would like to work along side y'all since i have yet to have met a boyer in person ever.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 10:13:13 am »
 Here I am!!!!!
I've actually been perusing the forum again over the last few weeks.  Since covid has kept me from working, I've been trying to pump out a few bows as of late. I'll shoot you a DM Joshua.

Offline Joshuakokkinias

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 03:21:41 pm »
Amazing! I love this community.

Offline Joshuakokkinias

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 02:28:02 pm »
Big thanks to bubbles driving over to school me on tillering! Really apreciate.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 05:59:05 pm »
 :)

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 07:17:58 pm »
That's awesome. Hands on with an experienced bowyer can really escalate the learning curve. Hope you took notes.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges