Author Topic: Which Guava wood?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Tommy D

Which Guava wood?
« on: June 21, 2020, 06:03:04 am »
Is the guava wood that makes good bows the one that produces fruits like these ...

Offline Ben.A.M

Re: Which Guava wood?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 06:18:05 am »
Others will definitely chime in but this is what I’ve just gotten a heap of staves of, smaller higher crowned stuff I couldn’t get to floor tiller (snapped) but the larger stuff seems promising, although as yet have yet to finish any.

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 06:32:33 am »
No

I think we just had this discussion,

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,68172.msg957556.html#msg957556

Can you, yes.  Hard to find good straight non twisted wood of this variety. If you  do it will make a bow yes. Some Orange and  most lemon will make very good bows.

HH~
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:49:44 am by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 03:58:47 pm »

Can you, yes.  Hard to find good straight non twisted wood of this variety. If you  do it will make a bow yes. Some Orange and  most lemon will make very good bows.

HH~

Ok so it’s more the difficulty in finding a straight enough stave from this species than it being poor wood?

Here is the tree... it’s been earmarked for a major league hair cut ....

Trying to imagine a few bows in hear...

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 06:28:12 pm »
Yes

If you look at some of those limbs they are heavily twisted as well. It will work but I imagine even the trunk will be twisted. I good straight limb with 6-8" dia would work.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline YoungBull

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 07:28:32 pm »
There are actually 3 types of guava, strawberry (small red fruit), small yellow (white inside) and big yellow which is your first pic (pink inside), the first two are good bow woods and takes heat treating really well, i never made a bow out of the big fruit which is pink on the inside though. Strawberry guava would be the best.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 12:07:48 am »
Thanks

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 08:18:13 am »
 Any ideas if this is a type of guava or what it might be?

Offline YoungBull

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 07:52:19 pm »
The bark looks like guava, the leaves are too small for me to id, take one leaf smash it and check if it has a fresh herbal smell, if it has then it probably is. It's hard to id which guava that is without any fruit in the tree or in the ground.