Author Topic: Armadillo slayer  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

Armadillo slayer
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:33:43 pm »

I hope that my posts won’t offend anyone.  I wanted to learn to flint knapp because I wanted to hunt with my points.  I consider the hunting and knapping to be intertwined.  So if the kill shots are not wanted here then I apologize and ask the moderator to move my post.  With that out the way I have been trying unsuccessfully to rid myself of this pesky armadillo for over a year now.  For those of you who have no experience with armadillos they are generally pretty easy to kill.  They don’t see very well and can usually be snuck up on and dispatched with a variety of options.  This armadillo was an exception to the rule.  It was very sneaky and elusive.  I encountered the beast on many occasions but was never able to end our relationship if you will.  He relentlessly tore up my yard under the cover of darkness.  Each encounter I had with the beast made him smarter it seemed.  At the slightest noise he would take off for one of his many holes and would vanish for days or weeks.  Well last night was the night.  I had just broken a point I was working on from my last piece of decent stone.  I was beating myself up about the cracked point.  It was getting so thin and was a deep black with green edges.  Well I’m closing my shed door and out the corner of my eye I see the beast.  Of course he sees me as well and takes off!  I’m thinking another blown chance. 

I go back in the shed, string my privet bow and grab an arrow.  I start to ease down the ditch line in the direction he went.  I can hear him up ahead but it’s getting darker by the second.  He hears me and takes off.  I take off in pursuit and close the distance.  He stops for a brief second and I let the arrow fly!  The beast jumps 2 feet in the air and then jumps again.  I can’t see if he’s hit or not ?  Then he comes running at me and I can see my arrow sticking out.  Yes!!!!!!!  He runs directly along the neighbors fence with the arrow hitting every fence board.  So I take off in pursuit!  Please don’t let them see me I’m thinking.  He takes a sharp right underneath their carport.  Nooooo don’t go under the car!  I grab the end of the arrow just as he tries to go under the car.  Two seconds later he succumbs to the wound. 

My heart is racing more than any of my deer kills with modern weaponry.  Notice the impact fracture on the second pic.  Also some of the serrations have taken a beating as well.  I can’t wait to take a deer with a stone point!

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Armadillo slayer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 12:28:50 am »
They don't call them critters "Little Tanks" for nothing.  As far as I know, we don't have them around here, yet!  Nice knapping job!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:44:29 am »
Possum on the half shell. That was the first thing I shot with a stone point arrow, also. At least it didn't break your arrow. I've had them break every kind of arrow but bamboo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoner

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 05:55:11 pm »
skin the shell off, face plate and tail. Do some projects with them. John

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 08:42:28 pm »
Armadillo #2 just went down!  No kill shot as the mosquitos where seriously chewing on me.  This was the point used.  It had very sharp serrations that have been worn down with the single hit and the tip has broken off.

Offline backwoodsguy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 05:20:06 am »
I was wondering what kind of halfing glue you used in the first picture? It looks like pure pine pitch with no additives.

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 10:35:49 am »
I use the not so primitive Gorilla glue two part epoxy.  I know that may be sacrilegious to some of you guys but I like to practice shooting with stone points.  The sinew/pine resin is just not very durable in my targets. 

Offline backwoodsguy

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 06:26:35 am »
I do something similar. I super glue the arrowhead in place and fill around it with charcoal powder.Then one drop at a time, super glue is added until it solidifies.

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 09:30:30 pm »

How many one eyed Indians were there?  Made these three tonight with eye protection on.  The amount of razor sharp pieces flying around had to be an issue for the ancients eyesight?  Any of you guys Knapp without ppe?