Author Topic: workable stone  (Read 2947 times)

Offline paulc

workable stone
« on: June 05, 2020, 07:39:40 am »
Hey all, I have another load of Texas stone via the online auction site.  I cooked it following Jack Crafty's "recipe" in his signature line...didn't seem to make much of a difference...I still have to swing like I am trying to kill something in order to get flakes to come off.  They are often pretty good flakes but there is nothing relaxing or enjoyable in the process....I watch Jack Crafty videos on youtube and Jack it appears you are often simply letting you hand fall and good flakes come off..

Do I just not have access to that quality of stone?  Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks, Paul

Offline Wolfmanjack

Re: workable stone
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:47:22 am »
Take this with a grain of salt cause I’ve only been doing this a little over a year.  Some Texas rock I’ve used is just super tough stuff.  I’ve tried heating it and it just will not behave.  Maybe getting the temperature higher may be the key but my turkey roaster won’t tame it.  With that being said some of the Texas rock I have tried turns super slick after heating and is a joy to work.  The same can be said for the citronelle gravel that I have access to.  Heat transforms some pieces almost miraculously and some pieces are just stubborn.

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:24:26 pm »
Some Texas cooks easy and some don't. That river cobble is a beast to try and tame.  I gather my own when I drive thru Texas and refuse to pick up river cobble which is usually found in front of every restaurant in Texas and at landscape business. There is a knapper that I haven't seen post here in awhile, that can make real nice points pit of it.   

I would re heat some of it to see if that helps. I use a turkey roaster with layers of beach sand between layers of rock. Seems to heat up pretty good for me. I also let the rock cool on it's own which usually takes a couple days.

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 01:40:04 pm »
Seller id'd the stone as Edwards Plateau material...which means nothing to me :-)  Thanks for the insight.  I have a turkey roaster and a toaster oven...both about the same results.

Paul

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 10:12:48 am »
I’m a sucker for good landscaping cobbles.  But JEB is right.  Most will cook at 350* on the light end to 425* on the high end but there are some tough ones. After a while you kinda get an eye for the stone that need to go much higher .  I tend to spall & biface it out then cook it in the ground about 4” deep in packed soil.  I’ve reached 600* & it usually takes 2 days to cool down enough to hold it.   The color change can be quite remarkable.  Here is a point I made from a cobble.  Not my prettiest point but it will make short work of a whitetail.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:16:26 am by Tower »
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 10:17:03 am »
A better pic
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline paulc

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 11:40:57 am »
I was debating taking some stone straight from the toaster oven and just throw it in a fire...maybe I should try some buried stuff first.  Of this batch of stone it seems 1 out of three stones comes out good and slick but man it is still super tough...

Thanks, Paul

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 01:16:40 am »
Some one a while back suggested sand over and under the stone and burning a 20 lb bag of charcoal over it.  Might as well broil your meat at the same time! (=) -C- :KN
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 01:24:41 pm »
I wouldn't throw any rock into a fire.  Dig a hole, put some rock in it and cover it back up and build a fire over it. Not a lot of your rock but enough to run an experiment with it.

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 11:52:31 am »
go on ebay and buy some of the georgetown flint... get a box for like 57 shipped..around 30lbs I think.. I am hooked on that georgetown... gut

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 12:09:19 am »
PaulC, what are you normally working with? If you've worked mostly glass, the Texas rock will seem really tough.

Texas chert that doesn't heat well is pretty rare. It can sometimes be a lot like high grade rhyolite (which doesn't respond to heat). If it's Edwards plateau chert, it should be good stuff. There might be something wrong with the thermostats in your oven(s). You might try installing a thermometer to check the actual temperature during the process.

Throwing some of the stone directly into a fire is not a bad idea. If it pops, then it's good quality and you just need to find the right temperature using a good oven, roaster, or kiln. If nothing much happens to the stone after the fire dies down, then the rock you have is poor quality.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 12:18:52 am »
When I heat treat in a "primitive" way, I don't bury the stone. I arrange the flakes and spalls around a bed of coals and heat treat in the the open.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 05:00:12 am »
Will have to agree to disagree Patrick on tossing rock in a fire. Cooking flakes and spalls the way you do is one thing but tossing rocks into an open flame can be very dangerous. I have had them blow up on me and my family when making a fire ring out of rocks that unknown to me were wet inside. And when they blew up chunks of rock flew everywhere. Thankfully no one was injured. 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 12:22:58 pm »
Flakes of chert or flint do not explode. They pop. You can usually recover all the pieces because they do not travel. I'm not disagreeing with you JEB, just FYI.

Moisture content of the stone is important. For those who don't know, wet stone and fire do not mix.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas