Author Topic: To flip or not to flip.  (Read 1898 times)

Offline apg

To flip or not to flip.
« on: July 03, 2020, 07:18:06 pm »
Hi all,
I’m building an osage bow, and have gotten the tiller pretty close to good. It’s drawing nicely, and it’s 55# @ 30” draw. It’s 65” nock to nock. It’s going to be a new hunting bow for deer when the season begins.
I’m used to flipping the tips - I always do that in my bows but I’m wondering if there are benefits to NOT flipping - my sense is the bows are usually snappier with an extra 5# of weight or so.
Anyone interested in convincing me against flipping?
Ash

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: To flip or not to flip.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:04:31 pm »
Straight limbs are less stressed than R/D or recurves so probably a bit more durable but that doesn't mean it's not up to par.  Straight limb bows are my favorite style and there are lots of versions of straight limb bows. But, the last few bows I'll built have had flipped tips or recurves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 10:00:08 pm »
if it shoots good and hits where you looking call it done and kill a deer,, if you decide at a later time you want to change it you can,, your options always open,, the deer not gonna know the difference,, I killed quite a few deer with straight tip bow,,

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 03:39:41 am »
Wood doesn't know what design of bow it is in :)
A given piece of wood can only take so much strain. Set etc tells you when you are straining the wood.
If you use the appropriate tiller, keep set low and located in the correct places then you will have a great bow regardless of the design.
A straight limbed bow, flipped tip or full on recurve won't differ much in performance. Build want you like :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 07:45:17 am »
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 09:10:26 am »
As usual all depends on what we want from our bows. If it is the maximum speed from given staves or boards, it probably helps to flip the tips.

I’m used to flipping the tips - I always do that in my bows but I’m wondering if there are benefits to NOT flipping - my sense is the bows are usually snappier with an extra 5# of weight or so.

As some stated, this assumes that flipping does not cause more set for that particular bow. Same thing goes with heat treating. It does increase the draw weight, but that does not necessarily mean the bow will shoot any faster. All I can think of for now is that we probably need to flip the tips before the final tillering. That means doing it to increase the final draw weight after the final tillering might not work as expected.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 09:26:05 am »
If it's a hunting bow I don't think you should be chasing speed too much. It's a long dark road ;) ;). 55#@30" will probably go clear though a deer and you don't need any more than that. Flipped tips do look cool though :D

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 11:56:23 am »
When it comes to hunting it’s far more important to have a bow you shoot accurately and consistently- and then focus on making good arrows, strong sturdy 2 blade broadheads, Single bevel, high FOC, perfect flight etc etc - there are far more things you can do to an arrow to make it penetrate better for hunting than any marginal increase in speed you might get by flipping the tips will achieve.

Not saying don’t flip the tips - just saying it’s not gonna make the difference between the arrow going through the deer or not!

If you shoot that bow well I would leave it alone...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 12:01:14 pm »
Seems a tad short for flipping tips and a 30" draw ???.
Like Jawge says, if it ain't bust don't fix it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline apg

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 07:31:49 pm »
okay I’m convinced. Not flipping. I’ll back it with some cobra I Have and make the wrap with some old buck hide I have. Will post here when it’s done!

Offline apg

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 09:17:55 am »
Here it is!

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 09:57:55 am »
That looks nice. A few wiggles always helps.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 11:32:53 am »
looks great,, could we see unbraced,, thanks B

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 12:09:51 pm »
...and full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline apg

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 02:59:16 pm »
As promised!