Author Topic: Yew flatbow  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Sagebrush

Yew flatbow
« on: July 04, 2020, 10:50:38 pm »
https://i.imgur.com/WVTvnuM.jpg
I dont usually post a lot of my bows just because I'm rather hosting site inept as evidenced by my use of imgur.  That being said, I couldn't resist posting neighbor Bob's second bow that we worked on together.. 

But there is some backstory.   Bob is 82 and an accomplished woodworker.   He really had no interest in making bows.  I worked on him a bit and left him my copy of tbb volume one.  He helped on bows here and there for several months.  Finally he made his first bow.  A backed Victorian longbow that he loved to shoot.  That brings us to the present.

This is a 64 inch Pacific yew flatbow.  It ended up at around 44 pounds at 25 inches.  It is made from two of my previous explosions that he spliced rather neatly and then constructed a handle made of figured maple.  Buffalo horn and padauk overlays.  He then found some renderings of native paint schemes and went for it using milk paint.

He's now hooked with oceanspray  and vine maple drying and clamped in forms all over his shop.  His success has brought me far more pleasure than any of my own bows.  I love walking by and finding him out in the field flinging arrows and building an archers strength.  There is even discussion of an elk hunt after 20 years of not with his new prized posession.

Cheers and enjoy!

Offline Sagebrush

Re: Yew flatbow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 11:09:48 pm »
http://imgur.com/gallery/Icsc2Vs

Maybe the full album...

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 12:57:24 am »
What a lovely story and bow. Well done both of you

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 02:59:18 am »
wow, incredible story and a nice bow to.
Hope I can do that with 82 too
Congrats to both of you!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 07:35:42 am »
Indeed, a great story. Congrats to Bob on a finely crafted bow and to you for igniting the flame. One's never too old to start a new passion. Ditto what Simon said...if I make it to 82 I hope I still find myself in my shop building bows.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 09:33:32 am »
That's an awesome story👍
He's never getting out of the twisted limb dimension😁😎

Online Will B

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 10:16:47 am »
Great story and nice bow!  I hope to still be making them when I’m 82.

Offline diliviu

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 11:00:04 am »
Well, there seems to be no inappropriate age to discover new paths. Lovely story and great bow!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 02:06:59 pm »
Good to hear other folks in my age bracket are getting the "bow bug"!  Hope to have my shop organized well enough to get started on another bow before I turn 81 next month.  The bow bench is the first thing to get put back together as soon as we get the house settled in!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry