Author Topic: Download Hunting the bamboo backed bow with Dean Torges?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline AndyTurner

Download Hunting the bamboo backed bow with Dean Torges?
« on: July 01, 2020, 08:12:34 am »
Hi,

does anyone know where I can download "Hunting the bamboo backed bow with Dean Torges". I don't mind paying for it. Amazon Prime would be ideal but they don't have it.

The only place I can find it is in DVD format at 3 Rivers, USA. I live in the UK so it will take weeks to get here and I'll probably get hit minimum charge import tax which will probably be more than the DVD itself!!!.

Regards,
Andy

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Download Hunting the bamboo backed bow with Dean Torges?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:27:29 am »
I believe it's also still sold on his site, though that may not help with the shipping issue.

bowyersedge.com
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 09:42:06 am »
three rivers archery has it too... glad to see you going to watch it.. follow his format and you will not have that problem anymore..gut

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 09:46:05 am »
heck its cheaper here Primitive Archer...

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 11:56:12 pm »
If you can't find it for the right price. PM me any questions you have about boo backings.

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 04:48:00 am »
Hi - thanks all.

I really want to see his DVD. I'm too lazy to read! :0)

I actually realised the other day that he posted up on the web some free info how to make Ratan bows for kids. i used this info successfully on 6 bows to date. They are fab & the kids love them.

I'm really interested to see how he makes his bows in general - not just backing issues.

Have a great day & thanks again,
Andy

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 07:13:44 am »
video has rattan bow building also.. sorry I didn't see you were in UK.. I'd order it Andy.. you will enjoy it and it will give you all the info you need... great video... Dean passed recently... I spoke with him a few times.. super great guy... he will be missed... gut

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 03:12:21 pm »
Andy - I watched Dean Torges video years ago. It was great. He seemed somewhat of a perfectionist and a bit of a romantic. I like that. But in terms of getting a practical understanding of building a bamboo backed bow you will get just as much out of this video...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zwta14XvhDc

And it’s free...

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 05:16:52 pm »
Cool cheers guys!  8)

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 05:22:07 pm »
The Clay Hayes video is pretty good. It borrows a lot from Dean's original video, in terms of the form, and the general process. It produces a really nice bow, but it has quite a few differences to Dean's method. Admittedly many differences are style, such as a truly flat belly, and the power lam, which won't necessarily make a bow better or worse, just a different approach. I can't think of the name of the company off the top of my head, but they popularised this style of bow, and produced them for many years before giving the process away commercially and doing a more manufactured modern style of bow(perhaps with FG). They wrote an article about their original method in TBB vol4.

A combination of Deans book and video will give you a really good perspective on how and why he does things, which to me is very important, because you get to clearly see the logic behind it. They hold many more gems of knowledge, in terms of what variables you can use too. Its definitely a lot for a new bowyer to learn and understand, probably better for someone who has a few good  bows under their belt, before delving into.

A perfectionist and a romantic, like Tommy mentioned? Definitely. Dean taps into the approach of the golden era of all wood bowyers, that delves a deeper than just getting a good bow that works. Its all about capturing the golden era style, and grace, the smoothness of form, of good design, and dare I say art. So definitely romantic, perhaps not everyone's cup of tea.

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 01:10:03 am »
Hamish - I’m sold!!! :0)

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »
Here’s another R/D bamboo backed video...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xljOvsexlkg

Offline rps3

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 10:25:38 am »
I have watched and read my share of bow making information, and none of them have inspired me more than deans offerings.