Author Topic: Quiver knife  (Read 1114 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Quiver knife
« on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:18 am »
I should be getting my bark-tanned deer hide back from the tanner any day now.  Sheesh, it's taking forever, but that's another story.

I have a pretty good design for a side/hip quiver, taking what I consider the best elements of Native American side quivers and northern European belt quivers.  I decided recently that I like the idea of attaching a small knife to it.  I want something that looks right with a leather/fur quiver; small and light; drop-point for easy field dressing.  Also, it needs to be cheap.  I'm not looking for an expensive heirloom with +3 magical powers, since I hunt hard country and use my gear hard, and chances are I'm going to lose it and have to replace it at some point.

I've found an Otzi knife replica on Amazon that is intriguing (google it and see what you think), and there are some fairly inexpensive, functional sgian dubh on Etsy that would work, all in the $50-100 range.  What do you guys use?  Any recommendations?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Quiver knife
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:55:37 am »
I like a small drop point knife also and like having a knife on my quiver. There are plenty of knife builders here on PA that you should be able to find one for trade. Paying a few bucks for shipping is better than $50 to $100.
 A small sheath can be added to the strap if it has one or to the side of the body of the quiver.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 02:53:22 pm »
Another option is to get a blank and add a handle yourself.  I have a couple of Helle blades that are excellent quality, and the blanks were $25ish.  It's easy to add an antler handle yourself.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 11:38:23 pm »
All that stuff is in a box in the shop!  I agree with Pat B,  you should be able to work a trade for a blade you design.  Something similar to a neck knife might work.  Losing a favorite knife sucks, especially if it is a keepsake!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 10:24:19 am »
I looked at the Otzi knife also and wasn't too impressed by the style. There are too many blades you can buy that are better and cheaper and put your own handle on.

I have a knife in a sheath on my arm guard that is handy when needed and out of the way.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 02:56:56 am »
I looked at the Otzi knife also and wasn't too impressed by the style.
+1

i'd go for one of that beautiful blacksmith KH file knives
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,64772.msg910913.html#msg910913