Author Topic: Gap shooting and arrow length  (Read 2956 times)

Offline chris21

Gap shooting and arrow length
« on: July 15, 2020, 03:04:17 pm »
Hello all,im relatively new to archery,started shooting 3 years ago with pvc selfmade bows.I ve a samick sage 40 lbs now and im shooting 600 spine carbon avalon arrows at their full length 32".Since there is no club or any archery coach around here all i know is from utube and form archery sites.I shoot 3 under and im aiming with gap method using the arrow tip.The place im shooting is maximum 35 yards,but mostly im shooting 20 yards.My draw length is 27" and i ve ordered some arrows 500 spine 32" long.question is if i cut them to 29" my gap will increase if im correct?im finding very difficult with increased gap since my target is on the ground and i ve to aim very low before the target with 32" arrows if the gap increase then i ll ve to aim even lower? Any tip for aiming?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Gap shooting and arrow length
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 06:03:24 pm »
I use instinctive shooting, the arrow goes where I'm looking.
If you are using the tip of your arrow as an aiming point all your arrows will need to be the same length. Changing the length changes your sight picture.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 10:51:23 am »
Chris,
            I also use the gap method now since I don't have time to devote to what is called instinctive shooting...Your gap will close if you use your middle finger for an anchor point and even more so if you use your ring finger...I shoot 3 under and use my middle finger and the top of my stone point which is mounted vertical is dead on at 20yds...It takes some getting used to but try it for a while...
                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline chris21

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 05:06:39 pm »
Thanks both :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 12:22:40 am »
Chris,
Where's "around here"?  There might be someone closer than you think!  Whatever technique you use will take lots of practice, and some adjustments on your part.  Concentrate on the spot you wast to hit and do exactly the same thing every shot to build muscle memory and hand eye coordination.  A 3D target may help, but they are rather expensive, just picking a spot on a blank target may help!  Eat only on the days you practice, and make every shot count, especially the first one!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chris21

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 04:27:40 pm »
Hackdancer im in Greece in an island Kefalonia,no archery clubs here!I try to shoot as much i can (work and family  allows).

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 12:14:10 am »
I see you are shooting a glass bow...this means you will have no risk of damaging it if you ever try what is called a “fixed crawl”? Basically it is like string walking but you have your arrow between two nocks (to hold it) and then you work out another marker (some use a third nok) that will be a little below the arrow. It will depend on distance but for me at 20 yards it’s about half an inch. This will bring your arrow even closer to your eye and when you figure out where you need to hold the string you can get it so your tip is exactly the right height with the target. It’s really a technique for use with close shots (prob 20 yards in) that some bow hunters use as it makes the gap much less at these distances