Author Topic: Electric jerry rigging help please  (Read 1350 times)

Offline paulc

Electric jerry rigging help please
« on: July 17, 2020, 10:33:26 am »
Hello All, not sure the right forum for this....I salvaged the electric motor in the pic from a dead washing machine today.  Motor should be perfectly fine.  How do I hook it up without setting something on fire or electrocuting myself?  I have hopes of creating a home grown blower type machine for my someday to be built forge.  Or maybe somehow a lightweight home rigged lathe.....or an approximation of a lathe....

Books to read?  YOu tube video to watch?  Or can you tell me what wires to hook to black, white, ground etc....?  Would love it if I could set it up as a variable speed motor....Or should I just throw it out with the rest of the washing machine?

Thanks a bunch!  Paul

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Electric jerry rigging help please
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 10:42:47 am »
someone should come along (i got help here when i was wiring up my engine lathe  ;D)

whats the HP on it? i took one apart years ago and it had a 1/4 HP motor in it and that should be plenty for a blower or a small pen lathe i would think, the biggest thing you need to do after you get the wiring figured out is build some kind of shroud for it to keep dust/dirt out.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:05:58 pm »
Do you have a wiring diagram on the motor or a schematic from the dishwasher?

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 01:50:33 pm »
Does this help at all?

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 02:54:21 pm »
Is there a green stripe on the capped yellow wire?  Can't tell from the picture.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 03:29:23 pm »
A cheap hairdryer works well for running a forge. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 05:09:26 pm »
That's a single phase 120 volt motor. The yellow wire with a green stripe is your cased ground. White wire is your neutral. The red and yellow wire are both hot. It is probably a two-speed motor and each one is a different speed would be my best guess. Do not feed both those wires hot at the same time. Try one of them and then disconnect and then try another to see if it's two different speeds

Offline paulc

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 07:27:29 am »
Pretty sure y'all are right. Yellow w green is definitely the ground, and presumably the white is neutral...I'll look some more today online-see if I can find the motor somewhere.

Now Osage...why would i go buy a $20 hairdryer and be ready to go when i can spend hours Jerry rigging this to be cumbersome and slightly dangerous??  I just looked up dual start capacitors online and found one for "only" $40....my idea makes more sense every minute....I'll report out after I've wasted hours down this rabbit hole...

Thanks, Paul

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 08:30:00 am »

Now Osage...why would i go buy a $20 hairdryer and be ready to go when i can spend hours Jerry rigging this to be cumbersome and slightly dangerous??  I just looked up dual start capacitors online and found one for "only" $40....my idea makes more sense every minute....I'll report out after I've wasted hours down this rabbit hole...

Thanks, Paul

get out of my head  (lol)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 11:10:44 am »
Go with the cheaper $10 model hair dryer  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 11:22:37 am »
Go with the cheaper $10 model hair dryer  ;D

Two words, Goodwill store...  ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 01:54:16 pm »
Some electric motors are a nightmare.... more coloured wires than a transatlantic cable.
I used to be an electronics design engineer but they give me the heebie jeebies. You'll prolly find a Youtube video showing how to wire it up.
I was toying with the idea of making one into a wind generator... but i told myself to stop being daft and make bows instead :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 06:59:11 pm »
Pretty sure y'all are right. Yellow w green is definitely the ground, and presumably the white is neutral...I'll look some more today online-see if I can find the motor somewhere.

Thanks, Paul
[/quote

i thought i was the only 1 to think this way!!