Author Topic: To support or not to support on indirect percussion technique  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

I learned to Knapp by watching YouTube videos as well as by trial and error.  Jackcrafty’s under the leg indirect percussion technique is what I have been using.  When using this technique I don’t provide any support where I’m taking a flake from.  Is this the correct technique or should you place a finger and apply pressure there?  Obviously im not doing it wrong per say, but is there a better way?  A little something I made last night.

Offline JEB

Re: To support or not to support on indirect percussion technique
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 09:13:05 pm »
Looks like you have it figured out to me. Very nice point

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 09:04:56 am »
Nice point! Each and every knapper has lots of in person and online instructors available. Every one has their own style. Find what works for you - keep using it -- refine it - keep learning!

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:38:57 am »
Pat aka jackcrafty makes it look soooo easy... haha... nice point...gut

Offline xin

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 08:37:05 pm »
I think you have it mastered.  I would not change anything you are doing.  Great point.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 07:22:39 pm »
I don't use any extra support when I knap but you've got to put your fingers somewhere, so it's best to place them near the point of impact.

This might cause some flakes to stop short because of the slight finger pressure but it's better than spacing your fingers too far apart and causing a "bridge" that might cause the point to snap in half.

Other knappers from a forum that I will not mention, ;D  have been using an indirect horizontal "shaft" punch, slow strikes, and lots of support. This is fine for short and fat points but it will quickly snap a long, thin point.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr