Author Topic: Propeller twist  (Read 962 times)

Offline Kidder

Propeller twist
« on: July 20, 2020, 10:22:32 pm »
Working on my first stave bow. Recurved the tips and noticed it has some slight propeller twist. I think it’s very slight, but not having done one before I’m wondering if it’s enough that the twist needs to be taken out or is this is good enough? Thanks in advance.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Propeller twist
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:39:31 am »
If the limbs weren't recurved the twist wouldn't be a big deal, can you post a couple more images?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 10:11:16 am »
Can you low brace the bow? If so, brace it, see how the string tracks and how much out of alignment it is then make corrections as needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:01:07 pm »
Can you low brace the bow? If so, brace it, see how the string tracks and how much out of alignment it is then make corrections as needed.

That’s a good idea. For the life of me I can’t seem to get a better picture. But in looking at it I would estimate that the twist is less than 10 degrees and probably around 5 degrees if that makes sense. Thanks.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:33:02 am »
All for not. Broke at the base of one of the recurves at a thin spot when I was trying to brace it. It seemed like it was almost tillered too. But to be honest I was more than a little aggressive given my 10 minutes of my experience - Stave, recurve, tip overlays, cut in shelf, pistol grip, Rawhide backing....yeah it was bound to fail. Good thing I’ve got about 10 more staves and 30 hickory board blanks! On to the next...