Author Topic: fixing a pluck  (Read 3324 times)

Offline ArrowStone

fixing a pluck
« on: August 02, 2020, 09:12:56 pm »
Hey there. I have what I believe to be a massive pluck which causes me to miss consistently left. I would ideally like to improve my pluck rather than learning to aim 8 inches right at 25 yards.. so what are your best clean release tips?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fixing a pluck
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:01:52 pm »
I assume you are using a Mediterranean draw, 2 fingers under and 1 finger above the arrow.  Try drawing without an arrow on the string. Come to full draw, hold for a second or 2 then just slowly let down. Do this over and over again thinking about every aspect of the draw and slowly let down. Once you feel comfortable with this do it more, this time with an arrow but still just let down after the draw.
When you think you are ready to shoot an arrow concentrate on where you want the arrow to go and go through the process and when you get to full draw just relax your hand, the bow will do the rest. Once you build your muscle memory just concentrating on the target will get the arrow there. Your brain will handle the rest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 11:06:15 pm »
The only thing I would add is to concentrate on maintaining back tension as you release the string. I find doing that helps the release just happen. If I forget about back tension I often will pluck the release. Pulling through solves that for me.

Mark

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:48:29 am »
When you are ready to shoot after following Pat's advice, try shooting just a few feet in front of your target.  Don't look at the target if that feels safe, or at least look at it with sort of blurry vision so you can really think only of your release.  Once that feels good, go back a few yards and see how things work.  (Back tension is also very important for this!) 

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 05:38:24 am »
Could be many many things. I'm gonna assume your right handed. After watching lots and lots of folks shooting many different bows and shooting releases and styles.

The couple big Pluck factors big pluck factors right off the top are "over bowed and anticipating the function of release". This with any bow.

With a selfbow that is always not the case. Lots of none center shot bows for right handers will shoot left when they are shooting well in fact. When arrow has to wrap around the sight window area the arrow spine must be correct to have good arrow flight and to travel toward where your looking. These type bows are not forgiving in this manner at all. Not to say they can not shoot well just saying arrow spine and point weight are very critical with those type bows.

What is bows weight at your draw and what does arrow shelf and sight widow look like?

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 11:05:46 am »
Not sure if this helps you or anyone else. For me I found that I like a fairly deep grip. String is in between two middle knuckles. I find it easier to release that way. When I want to release I don’t think about opening my grip. I simply think about relaxing my index finger. I relax it and the rest of them follow. With my fingers relaxed from the deep grip the string just leaves my hand without me having to open my grip.

I’m certainly not a expert archer. Many people have much more knowledge, better form and better accuracy. I do think I have a very consistent, fairly decent release though.

When I had a shallow grip. Just using the tips of my fingers. I was much more likely to pluck and not nearly as consistent. I also feel unless you are overbowed. A very light bow is slightly harder to get a very smooth consistent release for me than a heavier bow that isn’t to heavy.

Not sure if any of that is worth the time it took to type, but maybe it might just help.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 12:43:31 pm »
I forgot about a deep grip, BJ.  You would think it wouldn't make for a smooth release but it really does.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Strelets

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 12:18:21 pm »
I agree with the deep grip. If you have a shallow grip you have to curl your hand to keep the string on your fingers; the result is tension in your hand and forearm and plucking the string. When you loose don't think about your fingers, just think of swinging  your elbow back (not down and back) just a tiny bit more, all the while pressing your bow hand onto the target.

When I do this it's usually a good shot. Now, my question is "How can I make myself do this every time?"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 01:18:41 pm »
by taking hundreds ans hundreds of thoughtful shots so your muscle memory and subconscious take over while you concentrate on where the arrow will go.

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 07:21:29 pm »
Never put string past my fingerprint center on tips of fingers. That split with glove or 3 under with tab.

I see guys pluck alot with lightweight bows when they anticipate the release but i may have said this before.

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 11:33:13 pm »
i put the string on the.... line? fold? well joint under the fingerprint pad and even then i can be on the pad sometimes. my hands dont callous well and no matter how much i work with them, how many blisters i get, how many times i shoot a bow, rock climb on sandstone, workout, flintknapp, my hands just dont callous, so i keep the contact the string has to my hand minimal so i don't get blisters.

i sometimes have had trouble with pluck but then i realize if i make my finger go limp, and pull or follow through at the same time and make sure to basically roll the tips of my fingers across the string than the string rolling across my fingers then i dont have any trouble. sorry if you didnt quite get what i ment. im pretty bad at explaining.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 03:49:05 pm »
Russell, do you wear a glove or use a tab? You should if not. You can damage the ligaments in your fingers. You might not realize it now but you will later.
 Use a deep hook, put the string on the pad in the middle or your 3 fingers. It seems counter intuitive but it really works, you'll get a cleaner release. 

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 09:00:39 pm »
yeah i use or used a tab... lost it tho... still kicking myself about losing it as a guy at the marshals paid for half of it and i kinda think of it like a gift...
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.