Author Topic: Mark Swanson explains his take on the Ishi style of shooting bow  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Mark Swanson explains his take on the Ishi style of shooting bow
« on: September 21, 2019, 03:53:33 am »
Mark goes into detail on some of whys and wherefores of shooting bow Ishi style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVWytnL7u3s&fbclid=
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Mark Swanson explains his take on the Ishi style of shooting bow
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 09:16:49 pm »
      Interesting video...That style just seems so unorthodox and would take and extremely talented person to practice a lot, like shooting a pistol left handed from the hip...I wonder where their influence to shoot this way came from, very interesting...I know at some point they had to come in contact with other NA who shot differently and chose not to change...I wonder how much did they practice and how this was done exactly...You would have to practice this style even if you were born with bow in hand...No sighting down the arrow with this style for sure...I wonder what Ishi would think of my gap method? Thanks for the video
                                                                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline wstanley

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:59:47 am »
He is very natural at it. Its a beautiful way of shooting and he's very good at it!

Offline Brevi

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 11:35:21 pm »
That is a lot of dedication to learn to shoot that way .  So many different releases and variations on arrows . There is no " one right way " in shooting styles . 

Offline Alaskan Mongol

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 02:16:24 pm »
When interpreting surviving NA artifacts and techniques, it is always good to remember that a lot of native Americans by the 17 & 18 hundreds were survivors of multiple generations of "lord of the flies" type scenarios as the European plagues wiped out 80-95% percent of the population at a time.  So often they were re-inventing the wheel, and what one surviving guy learned how to make work may not reflect what the previous intact population working with the same materials may have optimized.