Author Topic: Crepe myrtle shoots  (Read 1929 times)

Offline paulc

Crepe myrtle shoots
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:09:59 pm »
Anyone have experience w crepe myrtle shoots for arrow shafts? Or other similar material? The little pin "knots" are making me wonder if these are safe to shoot...

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Crepe myrtle shoots
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 08:29:46 pm »
Paul, I've never worked crepe myrtle but I've made arrows from many different hardwood shoots and pins are common. They shouldn't be a problem. If you reduce them be careful not to rip out wood around the pins. But, even that can be dealt with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:32:29 pm »
Thanks! P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:37:32 pm »
Looking for to your report on the crepe myrtle for arrows. They should make heavy arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 02:25:54 pm »
I have a few of those in the garage rafters.  It's good to know the pin knots are not a problem.  They really are quite heavy - I need to finish up a couple and see how they work.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 11:26:36 pm »
I have two batches of crepe Myrtle shoots I’ve straightened and cut to length. I’ve found out during straightening that these shoots are tension weak and break much easier than the super tough and durable Viburnum shoots I usually make arrows from.  When I get around to finishing some crepe myrtle arrows I’ll report back.