Author Topic: Boom  (Read 2042 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Boom
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 10:40:48 am »
Well there you go... >:D

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 12:07:47 pm »
Those are tension breaks. That is a shame but you live and learn :)
The thing is I know I checked the string on both tips and I've shot the bow on my machine before. The string was intact. I don't know what happened so in this case I didn't learn anything. I remain puzzled.

Yew tended to break on the forward swing of the limb.   Just like if you tried to straighten a bow with string follow.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 12:24:52 pm »
I discovered something this morning. I put another bow on the tree and the strip of wood with the DL written on it was laying on the floor. My shooting machine sits on a workbench kind of under the tree. Room constraints mean that if the back of the bow were straight it would be about 4" from the measuring strip. Once it's braced there is 6-8" clearance. The string had to have come off in order for the bow to bend backward enough to knock the strip off my tree. The picture shows how much clearance there is with a similar bow. The bow is not braced. There is 5.5" to the strip. It had to bend forward a long way to knock the strip off. It probably broke before it hit the strip.
PS The strip wasn't very well attached :-[