Author Topic: Purple plum stave  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Purple plum stave
« on: July 31, 2020, 05:31:26 am »
I have this purple plum stave with a knot on the edge of it wich i couldnt avoid, do i leave the stave wider there or remove wood from the opposite side so i create some sort of a wiggle?

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Purple plum stave
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 06:48:41 am »
  Stay with your grain, don't create a wiggle...Nice stave, how wide are you there...?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 08:04:18 am »
Its  45 milimeter wide but at the knot its 54 milimeter. And thanks, had to search hard for it, foto is only part of the stave, here is a picture of the full lenght

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:54:33 am »
Nice stave. I agree with Donald.
That must have been a large purple leaf plum tree as flat as the back looks. Looking forward to seeing your end results.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:22:53 am »
Is this the one you harvested in April? You can rough it out now but I wouldn't make a bow yet. Too nice a stave to risk a bunch of set :D

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 12:24:06 pm »
Whats considered roughing out, till what? In my opinion this is roughed out haha. What type bow would you all make of this? I was planning to try an other recurve

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 12:45:15 pm »
And how long should i wait till making a bow of it? I thibk its harvesting time because im running low on wood haha

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 01:39:33 pm »
As long as you don't bend it you can rough away to your hearts content. I would wait til October anyway.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 02:03:38 pm »
The problem is, i only have made about 3 bows wich i would call succesfull. I have no idea what thickness to go to for a 70/80 lb bow without feeling or seeing it bending.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 02:08:08 pm »
And if it matters for the dementions, if i put recurves in it i will also deflex near the handle

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 02:37:21 pm »
The problem is, i only have made about 3 bows wich i would call succesfull. I have no idea what thickness to go to for a 70/80 lb bow without feeling or seeing it bending.
You don't have to know how thick a 70# bow is. You start at an inch and scape it down. After you've made more bows maybe you can start at 3/4" thick.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 05:06:59 pm »
Thats kind of what i wanted to know, how thin i can make it al over the lenght exept the handle area for the quickest drying time

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 06:24:31 pm »
What to do about the knot? It depends on the intended width of the bow, and how the knot runs toward the belly. Does it go straight down or at an angle?

If it goes in at an angle, then slicing it off the edge will looks like it might get rid of the knot , but all it does is expose the knot on the edge of the limb. If you have already sliced the other edge to the ideal intended width, then you are left with a weak spot, which could cause issues in a highly strained bow. If the bow is overbuilt with its design it might not be an issue.

When I have a knot like that, I initially leave that area wide enough, so I have the option of being able to change my strategy on how to deal with it, as I get a better idea of what the knot is doing as I remove wood.

If I can't totally avoid it, then I will leave a swelling around the width wherever is appropriate, so that there is the same amount of wood
as a clean stave, plus the width of the knot. Some guys don't, and they get away with it. Some guys don't and they end up with a broken bow. Leave enough clean wood to do the work, then its not going to break because of the knot.

That is a superfine stave if its plum. You probably won't come across a stave like that very often. Personally I would leave it for a while until you get more confident with the process.
Plum has a reputation  for checking whilst drying, so I wouldn't rush things or leave the back unexposed, if you take off the bark.