Author Topic: Bone  (Read 4942 times)

gene roberts

Bone
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:32:25 am »
Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to pressure flake bone???  Does it differ with different animals,and with different bones?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bone
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 01:39:08 am »
I don't know if bone has the structure to be pressure flaking. Percussion maybe. ;)  I think folks grind down bone to make points. I have not done it but I have a few bone points and they were ground.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:25:46 am »
Like Pat said. Grinding is the way to go.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 01:54:52 pm »
AndreaS has a really nice build along on bone points.  Check it out. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 04:39:28 pm »
Pressure flaking bone is like biting into a candy apple with false teeth......pretty darn useless, and messy.  If you do manage to get a good flake, mount it on a wall as a trophy:  you won't see too many in your lifetime.

I've tried percussion on bone too....not pretty.  Your dog could probably be trained to chew a better arrowhead.

Grinding is the way to go.  Use a dremmel type tool, disc sander, or belt sander.  Wear a mask.  And warn everyone that the air is about to smell like a crematorium.  ;D

If you want to be primitive you can also grind the bone on a rough, flat, stone surface.  But this is tedious and the stone loads up quickly with bone dust.  Haft the bone fragment onto a stick to get better leverage or use a long bone....then cut the arrowhead off the top (after it is fully shaped).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

gene roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:01:13 pm »
Thanks guys,thats all I needed to know.My dad has a dremmel tool,and I asked him what heads he had  his reply"anything you can think of"  Which brings me to my next point(no pun intended),What heads for the dremmel tool do I need???

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:23:17 pm »
I've made a number of bone points.  I find that a coarse file works best for shaping and sharpening and a hacksaw works quite well to cut the rough shape out
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:37:10 pm »
Here's a step-by-step for using that dremel to make bone points. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask me.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6487.0.html
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:11:21 pm »
Andrea S:  Its really easy to make a wooden clamp to hold the bone when you are working it.  Just taper the end of a broom handle or willow of like size and split it lengthwise down the center.  Put your work piece in and clamp it with a string or piece of leather thong.  Saves epithelial tissue!!  Have used that type of clamp on walrus ivory teeth.  Don't know how to make those cute drawings like you do so you have to use your imagination!!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight