Author Topic: Shipping  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Shipping
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 05:53:55 am »
What, they've all said already... but another reason to declare the vales as $20 is to avoid duty.
Someone sent me some Yew billets from the US years back... he got his wife to ship them and she thought it would be a good idea to put the value as $500 :o ::)
I got a card from customs demanding a fair bit of duty which I had to pay and then explain carefully (with pictures) what the item was and why the value was only $20 and why it was stated as $500. I did get the duty back, but it was a pain!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 06:10:21 am »
20 years ago I got a Traditional Spirit Longbow from J. Strunk. John declared it as a longbow.
The custom offizier has sent the bow back. A longbow is a weapon.....
The second  time John declared the bow as a sporting good. 4 Days from Oregon to my door in Germany.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 07:27:58 am »
Carved over-mantle decoration worked for me but you could ask one of the guys on the forum who travels back and forth from Canada to tbe US who could post it in tbe US for you
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:31:02 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 07:33:25 am »
The "weapon" thing is just ridiculous. Can you send a hammer, axe, how about a kitchen knife? Anyway, good luck DC. I'm pulling for you. Hope your bow makes it to Badger and gets shot in the flight competition. Good luck.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 08:02:13 am »
According to the Canadian Gov a bow is not a weapon, a crossbow is.  I've always just put archery bow is the contents and never had a problem
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Weylin

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 09:57:06 am »
I hate how confusing and complicated this all is. I've sent a few bows to Canada with no problem, but I don't know if that is because there isn't any potential problem or because I got lucky. I have been really hesitant to send bows overseas. I don't like lying about what I'm sending or devaluing the bow to fly under the radar. I've been declining overseas shipping orders. I tell them if they have someone in the states that they know and trust I will send them bow to them, and then they can work out all the international shipping on their own. It's just too much risk for me to take on. If something happens then I will feel responsible for fixing it or replacing the bow. It just doesn't feel worth it. I wish it was all more clear cut.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 10:53:03 am »
I went to a different post office this time and they took it. Still no guarantee that it will get into the States though and Covid is messing with delivery times.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 03:24:35 pm »
I have trade going with Pat B still have not sent my bow to him yet, still working on the same shipping problem.
  So how did you label your bow?  sporting goods, sporting equipment? and what value did you end up putting on it?  Good luck DC

Thanks,Chuck

Armstrong, BC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 03:34:20 pm »
...still waiting for the hill cane to be delivered. Mailed from the US on July 8.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 03:34:57 pm »
I put "archery bow for display" and $50. It will be a while before I know if it worked. The lady at the post office checked to see if bows were restricted and I saw her hand run over the "weapons" category. The big question is whether US Customs considers bows as weapons. I'm going to call them Monday. Maybe you should too, they'll think it's a movement ;)

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 03:58:59 pm »
Will do, Let you know what I find out,... No hill crane shafts yet Pat
 Thanks for the info Don.
                                       Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 04:05:26 pm »
Apparently some stuff has been stacked in corners for months. I'll bet achery stuff ain't high on the get 'er done list.

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2020, 05:46:13 pm »
...still waiting for the hill cane to be delivered. Mailed from the US on July 8.

Was it labelled?  Bamboo requires a fumigation certificate to come into Canada.

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2020, 07:26:49 pm »
DC when we used to travel to Vancouver for shoots we declared everything as archery tackle, and never had problems.  If you fill in the string grooves with simple putty and don't send  a string it is not a bow and no longer a weapon. "WOOD SCUPTURE" OR ""ARCHERY STAVE".  Next year drive to Yakima and I'll drive;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2020, 08:21:02 pm »
Pat, will Canadian Customs fumigate and send it on?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC