Author Topic: draw length?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline paulc

draw length?
« on: August 01, 2020, 03:02:29 pm »
measured from back of bow right? Not belly?

Thanks, Paul

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: draw length?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 03:23:57 pm »
Yes :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 03:46:57 pm »
:-)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 05:05:20 am »
Really? Oh. All my bows ever have been drawing a lot further than I thought then. Ooops. Bother then they have all had lower draw weights than I thought, oh, rhat means they actually were better performing than I realised.  No  I don't get it, I thought that draw length was measured from the handle, from where you hold it, a really deep handle  would increase draw length by several inches as effectively you are pushing the back of the bow away from the archer?

Offline paulc

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 05:52:16 am »
I suspect like just about everything in this hobby, the answer depends. Mostly on how you ask...kinda frustrating at times. My bet is Del was being funny when his answer...

Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 06:48:06 am »
From the string to the back of the bow, always has been, always will be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 07:09:16 am »
Really? Oh. All my bows ever have been drawing a lot further than I thought then. Ooops. Bother then they have all had lower draw weights than I thought, oh, rhat means they actually were better performing than I realised.  No  I don't get it, I thought that draw length was measured from the handle, from where you hold it, a really deep handle  would increase draw length by several inches as effectively you are pushing the back of the bow away from the archer?
There is sort of an exception in flight shooting which is to avoid people claiming a 28" draw and then drawing 30" because they have a 2" thick handle.
Normal practice would never be to draw the arrow to the belly of the bow, as the consequences can be spectacular and painful... I've seen arrows explode due to being drawn to the point where they stick in the belly.
Modern Olympic target bows (spits on floor) probably have some bonkers measurement (to the throat of the grip plus an inch or somesuch... because they draw through the clicker (spits again) ) ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 11:03:19 am »
Got to agree with Del and Pat!  Measure and draw to the back, make arrows 1"-2"  longer or more.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry