Author Topic: Stringing string nocks  (Read 1798 times)

Offline DC

Stringing string nocks
« on: August 01, 2020, 04:03:16 pm »
I've never made these before but these big hook bows I've been making are hard to brace without putting out an eye ;) I'm wondering if the big hooks will get in the way of sliding the string up the bow. The stringing string might be laying in the string groove that goes down the bow. I could help that by using a small loop with a big knot on the stringing string but I'm concerned that will put undo strain on the tips. Any little hints and clues for using these. If I'm not clear what I'm talking about, it's the tip overlays with two grooves in one. One for the stringing string and one for the bow string.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stringing string nocks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:23:08 pm »
DC, how about a bracing jig with pegs to support the bow as you bend it towards brace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 06:47:18 pm »
I was wanting something portable. I have a jig thing that I use now.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:41:37 pm »
when i made a big hook static recurve i tried the double string groove trick but found that it was still in contact with the recurve, at least until i had the bow finished.
what did work for me though while i was to get a pair of buckets or chairs and place a tip on each one and then push down at the handle with my body weight until i could slip the string into place.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:47:45 pm »
I've never made these before but these big hook bows I've been making are hard to brace without putting out an eye ;)

A regular recurve stringer won't work?

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 10:05:10 pm »
when i made a big hook static recurve i tried the double string groove trick but found that it was still in contact with the recurve,
did you try to step on the stringer with both feet and legs spread wide?

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 10:54:59 pm »
I just string big recurves the way most people that are new archers like where you brace it on the back of your ankle and thigh? do that instead of pushpull method when can't get a string on something or am worried about losing an eye (lol) this method for some reason seems more stressful for the bow..

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 11:10:32 pm »
I've never made these before but these big hook bows I've been making are hard to brace without putting out an eye ;)

A regular recurve stringer won't work?

Mark

If you mean the kind with a loop on one end and a rubber thing that fits at the base of the recurve I'm afraid they would apply a very uneven pressure on the limbs. OK for glass but I don't know for wood.

I just string big recurves the way most people that are new archers like where you brace it on the back of your ankle and thigh? do that instead of pushpull method when can't get a string on something or am worried about losing an eye (lol) this method for some reason seems more stressful for the bow..

-Fox
The step through method? I'm a little leery of that to0.
I'm a bit of an old fusspot I guess.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 07:39:51 am »
I put a double nock on my straight limb bows and prefer to string bows that way, I use a para cord stringer.

My statics have too small of a tip to put an extra nock groove on. Normal leather cup bow stringers have too big of a cup to fit on my tiny static tips and can't be trimmed enough to fit properly and still stay on. I ordered a Bateman stringer for my granddaughter to use on her recurve and found to to be perfect on my tiny tip statics. It has a very small upper cup that is laced to tighten on your bow tip and not slip off. 

Here is the size of my static tip;

Here is how the Bateman stringer fits on this tiny tip, plenty of room to get the string in the groove.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 07:45:34 am »
In case you are wondering if that tip is strong enough to hold the stringer it has multiple laminations in it. It looked like this before I put finish on it

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 08:04:24 am »
I just place the bow tips on two chunks of wood etc on the ground and press down and slip the string on.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 09:16:41 am »
If you mean the kind with a loop on one end and a rubber thing that fits at the base of the recurve I'm afraid they would apply a very uneven pressure on the limbs. OK for glass but I don't know for wood.

I was thinking of the ones with a leather cup on each end, not the one with the pad on the top limb. As willie says, you can greatly open the stringer angle at the tip by standing on the string with both feet, with them spread wide apart. That also has the benefit that it puts the bow a fair bit lower in relation to the arm holding it and makes it easier to pull up enough to get the string on.

Mark

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 11:42:06 am »
Step through for me.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 11:59:42 am »
When I was a boy I learned step through but then when I started archery again I read that push pull was the best method. It does sound like an answer to this particular problem(So does PatM's) I guess the secret is to get the handle touching your leg when you bend the bow. I'll have to experiment a bit.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 12:15:36 pm »
Here’s how I did the last recurved stringing grooves. When I put the brush nocks now the string lines up just under them at proper brace. So it’s a lot easier to brace with a stringer. As long as I step on the stringer with my feet a little wide so there is more of a downward pull and angle of the string. With that I have no problem with the stringer getting in the way. It definitely makes stringing a recurve a lot safer, for you and the bow.

Kyle