Author Topic: Split or leave  (Read 1234 times)

Online Kidder

Split or leave
« on: August 01, 2020, 06:09:43 pm »
Trying to decide what to do with this black locust stave. Although a year or so out. But I enjoy the planning...Anyways, the stave is about 7 feet long with a slight twist about 5 feet from the end pictured. The width is 4.5 inches from edge to edge. Would you attempt to split it and get two staves out of it or leave it as one large stave? My thought is attempt to split and if it goes poorly I should still have one good stave, but looking for opinions. Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Split or leave
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:21:05 pm »
I'd remove the bark to see whats under it first. There is plenty of width to split in half so, unless there are hidden problems I'd split it starting a wedge in the center of the stave lengthwise and working out to the ends. I've had my best luck splitting from the center. You'll need at least 2 wedges but you could make a few wood wedges to help out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Kidder

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 08:08:56 pm »
That makes sense - thanks!

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »
I agree with Pat. I always chase a ring first.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 10:57:19 pm »
Is say chase a ring first I've recently learned that the hard way. I do love BL though.

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 04:28:54 am »
Chase a ring and then square off the edges. My feeling is there's only one bow in there

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 11:37:20 am »
The first thing to do is square up the edges to the point where you easily have enough 'flat' for the sides of yourt limbs.
Then roughly chase a ring.
Remember locust likes to be wide....
One bow in there to my eyes.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 12:08:43 pm »
At 7' long you easily have enough length to make a successful 1 1/2" locust bow but first get the stave down to one good back ring then decide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC