Author Topic: Heat treating trade points?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Mafort

Heat treating trade points?
« on: August 02, 2020, 03:30:03 am »
So I posted on here a while ago asking about heat treating and tempering some high carbon trade points of 16 gauge steel sheet. I got to thinking about it and is it really worth it to heat treat and temper them? Can I use them without doing either of those processes? Can I just heat treat them and use them that way? I just want to make And use a quality point without Having to break my bank account by buying broadheads commercially.

Offline mmattockx

Re: Heat treating trade points?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:20:10 am »
They won't hold much of an edge unless you harden them and they will be very brittle unless you temper them after hardening. Honestly, tempering is as easy as turning on your oven for an hour. It costs essentially nothing and massively improves the properties of the steel. Why try and avoid it?

You say you want to make and use a high quality point. Well that involves properly heat treating the material.

Mark

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 09:23:59 am »
I was worried about warping with such thin steel.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 01:55:03 pm »
They won't hold much of an edge unless you harden them and they will be very brittle unless you temper them after hardening. Honestly, tempering is as easy as turning on your oven for an hour. It costs essentially nothing and massively improves the properties of the steel. Why try and avoid it?

You say you want to make and use a high quality point. Well that involves properly heat treating the material.

Mark

x2.

if some warp there are ways to take it out.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 07:43:19 pm »
I should post that I had a success today with these. Heat treatment was good with a good tempering and now they need to be sharpened and mounted. Hoping they’ll fill the freezer in the fall.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 11:09:35 pm »
if some warp there are ways to take it out.

A 3 point set up in a vise works well for knife blades. I expect it will work for OP on broadheads as well but I've never tried it.

I should post that I had a success today with these. Heat treatment was good with a good tempering and now they need to be sharpened and mounted. Hoping they’ll fill the freezer in the fall.

Good news, hope the hunting goes as planned. Taking a game animal with a bow, arrows and broadheads you have made yourself is very cool.

Mark