Author Topic: favorite 3D buck target  (Read 1254 times)

Offline sleek

favorite 3D buck target
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:52:46 pm »
Im in the market and looking for suggestions.  I need one good for broad heads.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: favorite 3D buck target
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 08:19:12 am »
I don't believe any of the 3D targets are good for broadheads, not that they don't work but broadheads tear them up prematurely. I think those block targets work well with broadheads and save the 3D targets for field points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:01:28 am »
Fair enough. What's the best target for field points then?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 11:30:50 am »
They are all good. Maybe the major brands like McKinsey , etc. would be better but I think they are quite expensive. I've only bought 3 and they were ones that archery clubs were auctioning off as fund raising after they bought new ones. All of these have become bird or chipmunk low cost housing.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 05:36:28 pm »
Sleek,
I was the target chairperson for our Archery Club for many many years. Our targets got shot very hard by folks at our shoots and by our Members. 3D targets are quite expensive and we studied many options over the years. I tested all sorts of manufactures and types of foam targets as to how many arrows it took to wear one out and then calculated the cost per arrow it took to wear one out. I found that the big two Companies targets lasted for the most arrows. However their targets are the most expensive. I tested cheaper targets and they did not last as long but when you figured the cost per arrow it was just about the same cost per arrow as the ones from the big two Companies. The encapsulated layered foam vitals probably lasted the longest but the targets did not look as lifelike as others. If you plan to leave your target out all the time, Weather will have a big effect on how long a target will last also. The biggest problem is when they are in direct sun. If it will be used with selfbows or traditional bows, most any from the cheapest to the most expensive will stop a arrow. Some types of foam make pulling arrows a little easier (especially in Winter when it is well below freezing. The targets I personally use on my range at my camp are old 3ds with worn out vitals that have been repaired with a spray foam such as Great Stuff. Cheap and they work. I guess if I bought a new one (deer) for myself it would be one with a encapsulated layered foam vital. For a Club, I would stick with targets from the big two companies as a bunch of folks are use to the score rings ETC.
Good luck with your target,
brian