Author Topic: Old Project/New Project  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Old Project/New Project
« on: August 06, 2020, 03:52:05 am »
Back in February I bought a part finished hornbow project from a bowyer who had moved on to other things.
The haul included horns, leather, sinew, glue, grooving tool and Karpowicz book (too good to pass over!) :D
He only wanted £50 plus postage  :o but I offered £100 and we settled on £80. (TBF I think I was the only one interested!)
He said the sinew was lifing a bit near the grip and needed some work.... so...
My question is where to start?
The perfectionist in me says take it completely apart and re-build, but the pragmatists says, get it flexing and see what's there and gain some experience finishing the build.
Any advice guys?
Del
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:56:06 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Project/New Project
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 08:24:51 am »
Del, I've never built a horn bow but I think I'd at least redo the sinew but no telling what you'll find under it. With as much work as goes in to building a horn bow I don't know if I'd trust what has already gone into this bow. Just my $.02.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:33:32 am »
Is the horn on and covered with tape? I'm a failure at this but it looks like the tips are rather bulky. Removing the sinew would give you a better look at the core. Actually the whole thing looks rather bulky and looks to my eyes like it would draw 300# ;D I'm really keen to see how you do with this. Make lots of videos ;D

PS I just watched the video and it doesn't look so bulky there. ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:20:26 am by DC »

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 03:10:35 pm »
Is it on the belly edges where it is lifting? If so it isn't surprising or necessarily indicative of a major problem, a coarse file will clean it up . Remove the excess until there is 1mm or so along the limbs edge.
DC it is no problem to leave the tips wide until you have the bow bent to brace and have accessed straightness.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 03:19:41 pm »
Is it on the belly edges where it is lifting? If so it isn't surprising or necessarily indicative of a major problem, a coarse file will clean it up . Remove the excess until there is 1mm or so along the limbs edge.
DC it is no problem to leave the tips wide until you have the bow bent to brace and have accessed straightness.
Cheers Mike I mean Bownarra ;)
Yeah it looks like the sides. I've been reading up the Karpowicz ... I'll move ahead with caution and see how it looks.
Del
PS. Emily Cat say the stash smells v interesting  ;D

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 01:12:30 am »
No problem :)

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 03:06:01 pm »

I realized that after I saw the video. I think I thought that the bulkiness went down into where it was sinewed. It still looks to me like it wants to be a heavy bow.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 01:51:09 am »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:02:19 am by Del the cat »

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 10:14:59 pm »
Bend it and see what fails. You have nothing to loose. Also, you got the best deal going! That book alone is more than $200