Author Topic: Zippo handwarmers, refilling the wick  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Zippo handwarmers, refilling the wick
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:48:53 am »
I have a couple of Zippo hand warmers and only one of them worked. Since hunting season is creeping close I decided to see about getting a new wick for it so I can run both of them. While looking for a new one I found out what you can replace the batting in the wick with. The stuff used is called Platinum bright embers. So if you have some of this style hand warmer that doesn’t work anymore or have some without the batting in the metal wick. You can repack them with this stuff. It’s about $25 for a bag but that bag will do Atleast 100 refills of the wick. So essentially a lifetime of keeping these guys going.

I recently learned about this so figured id spread the knowledge

Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Zippo handwarmers, refilling the wick
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 10:19:14 am »
Neat!  I have several of those in various places in my plunder - haven't fires them up for years, not sure why not though! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 11:05:36 am »
I just stick my Thermocell in my pockets without the bug pad.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 01:45:48 pm »
i didn't even know those were a thing thats pretty cool  :D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 11:26:42 pm »
i didn't even know those were a thing thats pretty cool  :D
Actually, they get pretty warm >:D (lol)!  If I remember correctly, one fill lasts all day, there is(was) a larger model that would run about 24 hours.  Jonee was the original brand name, about 60 plus years ago.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 04:49:28 pm »
I had a Jon-e hand warmer for my paper routes ,,I would take one to school I'd hang it from the hook in the center of my hall locker,,,,realized if I put a can of beanie weanies on the shelf above it,,they would get warm enough to make them taste better lol thanks that brought back some good memories JeffW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 06:00:30 pm »
I quit using mine back when I though you had to eliminate all human smells (lighter fluid) or you couldn't kill a deer. I bought into all that stuff for years.

One day, about the same time I quit wearing camo, I realized a deer down wind from me was going to smell me no matter how careful I was with scent elimination. I hunt with the wind now and it doesn't matter how bad I smell.  If I had one now I would use it, they really worked well.