Author Topic: Laburnum from Pender Bender  (Read 2597 times)

Offline DC

Laburnum from Pender Bender
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:33:57 pm »
About 3 years ago at the Vancouver Island Wood Bow Gathering, Pender Bender gave me a couple of Laburnum billets. I started on them a few times but I just wasn't sure if they were any good as one had rotten sapwood and a bunch of rot in the core. Finally after a little encouragement from a few of our European members who get to use this wood more than us I started scraping. I had to chase a ring after I took all the sapwood off. The billets, fortunately, had a big dogleg but then straightened out for 35". The 35" was almost  thick enough for the working part of the limb. I say almost because I had to glue a splint on the belly where it started to hinge. I used the short portions from the other side of the dogleg to build up he handle area. Then I spliced them together and started tillering. I was expecting it to break because of the rot but it held together. It's beautiful wood and a pleasure to work. I wish the sapwood had been good as it would have been gorgeous with the contrast. It's just finished with Tung oil so that is the natural colour. I want more of this wood now.
Any way it's 40#@28, 67"ntn, 1 1/8" limbs tapering to 3/8" tips. Tips are Water Buffalo Horn and grip is a strip of brain tan from the bunch that BowEd kindly sent me a year and a half ago. Just for the hey I shot it through the chrono and was surprised at 176fps@10gpp. I wasn't expecting it to be that fast.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:39:17 pm by DC »

Offline DC

Re: Laburnum from Pender Bender
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 07:36:46 pm »
More

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 07:37:41 pm »
More

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 09:34:24 pm »
Very nice bow, DC. That laburnum is beautiful wood.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 10:00:03 pm »
beautiful bow,, great photos,, thanks for sharing,,  :)

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 11:26:07 pm »
Nice bow :)
When you get a good piece you will see it is as good as yew :) And almst like a brother to it haha

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 03:48:40 am »
I like it DC. Good speed from that straight bow also. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 05:46:19 am »
Not to shabby for a rotten piece of wood.

Nice wrk DC. Sweet bow
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 06:57:57 am »
That is a beauty! Awesome work DC!

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 10:00:34 am »
That is some pretty wood. Very nice bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 10:07:13 am »
Thanks a lot guys. Just up the road there is a lot with a rezoning sign in the yard. Just behind the sign are two 10-12" Laburnum trees. I'm watching like a hawk. Thanks for commenting on the photos Brad. I put a lot of work into that. All were taken with the camera on a tripod.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 06:46:58 pm »
Your belly patch looks amazing. If like to learn how you do those.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 07:06:43 pm »
Very nice. 

I have a set of Laburnum billets that's been sitting in my shop for 15 to 20 years.  Every once in awhile I take them out and try and figure out what I should make with them, then change my mind
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 07:38:24 pm »
Your belly patch looks amazing. If like to learn how you do those.
The secret is making the patch thin enough so that whatever you use to clamp it can bend it to match the bow. I have trouble with the ends. The glue line shows where the patch tapers into the bow. I have some curved sanding sticks with old sanding belt pieces glued on them to even out the scooped section of the bow. In this case the dark laburnum helps a lot. The dark stripes in the wood mask the glue lines. The camera is far enough away to hide the flaws. it looks la lot better in the picture than in real life :D

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 07:40:13 pm »
Very nice. 

I have a set of Laburnum billets that's been sitting in my shop for 15 to 20 years.  Every once in awhile I take them out and try and figure out what I should make with them, then change my mind

Thanks Marc. I have a dead straight Osage stave that Goat gave me. Same thing with that. I just can't see the bow in it.