Author Topic: Pre finish cleaning  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Kidder

Pre finish cleaning
« on: August 28, 2020, 07:21:49 pm »
I’ve noticed that some woods appear to have almost oil like spots that show through a finish. What is it and how does one eliminate it? Is it as simple as wiping down the bare wood with acetone prior to applying a finish, or is there some other trick. I’ve attached a picture showing the sort of spots I’m talking about (this is under a tru oil finish). Thanks in advance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pre finish cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 09:04:39 pm »
I've never seen that with Tru-Oil and I've used it for years. What wood is this? Does it happen with other woods. Is it in the finish or the wood?
 You could try wiping the bare bow down with alcohol or acetone applying the finish or just scrape that area to remove the spot, buff with 0000 steel wool then add more Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 12:14:03 am »
Forget acetone etc on woods they simply bring more oils to the surface. On glass etc prior to finishing yes use it but not on wood.
A final sand with your preferred grade then simply rub down with a good quality tack cloth.
I would sand off the finish to find out where exactly it is. In the finish (unlikely) or the wood itself.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 12:46:00 am »
I've never seen that with Tru-Oil and I've used it for years. What wood is this? Does it happen with other woods. Is it in the finish or the wood?
 You could try wiping the bare bow down with alcohol or acetone applying the finish or just scrape that area to remove the spot, buff with 0000 steel wool then add more Tru-Oil.
It’s hickory. And it’s not in the finish it’s in the wood. I sand it and it doesn’t go away. I’ve noticed it on a number of different pieces so it’s not just that one. It seems like it’s an oil from the wood.