Author Topic: Bonehead Maneuver - Sinew Backing the Flipped Tips of a Recurve  (Read 1283 times)

Offline blindarcher

It was bound to happen.  I have heard of cases where the sinew pops loose at or near the tips of recurved bows.  In fact, others have suggested fading out the sinew on the back of the bow such that there is no sinew near the tips.  I have built several bows where I have sinew from tip to tip with no problems.  However, the latest recurve ash bow I am tillering popped the sinew near the tip when stringing it to brace height.  I thought I would avoid this as a potential problem by wrapping the ends with sinew for a distance of about an inch or two.  Not enough!  The sinew popped loose just adjacent to the wrap, still within the recurve portion.  Another lesson learned the hard way.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Bonehead Maneuver - Sinew Backing the Flipped Tips of a Recurve
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 02:32:35 pm »
sounds like you can wrap now,, and be ok,,

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 02:42:05 pm »
Thanks Brad.  I think you are right.  I have re-glued the area that popped loose and plan to wrap as you suggest.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 05:04:51 pm »
Pictures?

Mark

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 10:04:32 pm »
What kind of glue are you using and how are you prepping the bow before backing? This should not happen.

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 01:26:46 am »
Chuck, I know you use sinew a lot, what is your opinion of knox compared to the hide glue sold by bjorn or the woodworking/furniture supply outlets.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 07:37:10 am »
I’ve never had a problem with Knox. I have not used it on too many bows though. I mostly use homemade or 315 strength for furniture. However even poor glue should work on sinew/wood bows that are not stressed like composites.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 11:41:39 pm »
Yes agreed. you did something wrong. with half decent glue and prpe nothing should lift regardless.
One problem you may have come across here though is the sinew drying itself off the concave part eg. the recurve.
If the glue failed here I'd be wary of the rest of the backing.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 11:11:37 am »
yep,,,, :)