Author Topic: auriou rasps?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
auriou rasps?
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:52:29 pm »
 I tried out a friends hand made Auriou rasp and was amazed at how fast and smooth it removed wood. I have always used $10 rasps, but this was so much faster and better in every way. I figure I could save enough time to justify the money spent, but before I drop $120 on a wood rasp I want to know who else uses these and see what is the best grain for max efficiency in their opinion.

Offline Badger

Re: auriou rasps?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 10:04:11 pm »
  I did not like the torges rasp, it dulled extremely quickly. Would like to try one like you are looking at.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:09:18 pm »
Steve, it blew my mind! After I tried it out, I just knew I needed one. Just not sure what grain it was that I used. If I am spending over $100 on a rasp I need to make sure I'm getting the best one.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 11:32:50 pm »
Good brand, I have one about 12" long, cabinet rasp, very,very fine teeth(The finest grain for that length, 10 grain maybe). I rarely use it for tillering these days as I tend to use scrapers and scraper planes, except in the early stages, I may use a rasp for getting a taper, or initial shaping of the dips/fades. The teeth on this one are actually too fine for my liking with tillering. It takes a lot of strokes to remove enough wood and must be brushed frequently to unclog. One with slightly coarser teeth, (8 grain, or maybe even 6,) just not as coarse as a regular rasp would be ideal, for tillering.

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 03:34:02 am »
I have a 9 grain 10 inch auriou rasp, and I love it. I use a scraper on woods like ipe, but find with ring porous woods like ash and osage that the scraper takes early wood off the belly much faster than late wood, leaving a "stepped" surface on the belly. The auriou allows me better control over the taper. It leaves a fairly rough surface that requires coarse sanding to get smooth, but I really enjoy working with this rasp. It works well for me until the last few inches of tillering, when I switch to coarse sandpaper instead. YMMV but I have no regrets spending the money on it. I use a plastic scrub brush to clean it and spray with wd40 after use to prevent rust.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 06:55:48 am »
They are very lovely, but are they worrh 8 shinto rasps?

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 07:19:48 am »
I have one that I enjoy, especially for clean up after using a farriers rasp.  However mine seems to have dulled after heavy use on just just 3 Osage bows.  I wouldn’t get another, but I will keep using mine for light work.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 08:43:43 am »
Thanks everybody. Sounds like about 8 grit is what I want

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 07:56:27 pm »
Please post some pictures of it when you get it and keep us updated on how it performs
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 02:44:29 am »
They are very lovely, but are they worrh 8 shinto rasps?

Coming from somebody who has a box full of knackered, snapped and bent shinto's and 3 Auriou rasps still in perfect condition after 5 years of solid use......yes they are worth the money :) Easily :) Shinto rasps are ok but they are flat both sides so no good for shaping the contures you normally find on a selfbow. They are good for lam bows. I would say a Shinto lasts me about 2 months then its done.