Author Topic: 2020 US Flight Shoot  (Read 14120 times)

Offline avcase

2020 US Flight Shoot
« on: August 13, 2020, 01:12:59 pm »
Hello,
The 2020 US Flight Championships at Bonneville is just over three weeks away, and I have some important information for any of you who wish to attend.

First off, we are relying solely on electronic pre-registration this year through USA Archery.  It is very important to have everyone registered as soon as possible.  This is important for USA Archery, who is providing insurance for the event, and for us organizers who need to to know everything from the amount of masks needed, to the number of porta-potties we will need to rent.

Despite all the challenges of 2020, I feel this will be a very fun and safe event.  I know some of you have been working on some pretty impressive bows lately and I hope we can see what you can do on the flight range! We had to put in place some changes in order to minimize the COVID-19 risks, but fortunately the location at the Bonneville Salt Flats lends itself to social distancing quite well.

Dates & high level schedule:
Thursday, September 3rd - Practice and Equipment checks
Friday, September 4th & Saturday 5th - Regular Flight Rounds
Sunday, September 6th - Broadhead Flight Rounds

I will post a link to the registration and detailed event info if it is okay.

Also, we often have archers who need bows to shoot, and sometimes there are people with bows that they’d like shot, but can’t make it to the event to shoot. Let me know if you fall in either of these categories and we can see if we can match people together.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thanks!

Alan Case
971-998-5782, AVCase@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 05:36:38 pm by avcase »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: 2020 US Flight Shoot
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 04:55:31 pm »
Wishing nothing but good luck, clean releases, and long flights for all the P.A. folks at the shoot!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:10:16 pm »
Plus 2!  Stay safe and do well!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 11:21:13 pm »
I made a mistake on a reflexed sinew backed juniper Miwok style bow I meant to use in the #50 primitive class. It’s 51” long and has 9” reflex. The mistake was when the tillering was done it draws 34# @ 24.4”. I don’t think the men have that weight class. If a talented female archer is willing to shoot I think it could bring a record. I went to a field for the first time since last sept and with one shot sent a 201 grain arrow 268 yards. No big feat but may take the 35# primitive record.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 01:01:34 pm »
  Chuck, if you got that on one shot no doubt a good shot could hit 300 or better.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 10:43:02 pm »
When do we need to register by?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline avcase

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 12:42:07 pm »
I am just happy we can keep US Flight archery event alive this year. I appreciate the good wishes!

If at all possible, registration should be complete by this Friday, 8/21. I will check with USA Archery to see if I can extend this somehow if necessary.  In the past, we always took registration on-site but times have changed.

Thank you!

Alan

Offline avcase

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 12:48:12 pm »
I made a mistake on a reflexed sinew backed juniper Miwok style bow I meant to use in the #50 primitive class. It’s 51” long and has 9” reflex. The mistake was when the tillering was done it draws 34# @ 24.4”. I don’t think the men have that weight class. If a talented female archer is willing to shoot I think it could bring a record. I went to a field for the first time since last sept and with one shot sent a 201 grain arrow 268 yards. No big feat but may take the 35# primitive record.

We do have some women, and junior men and junior women archers who are strong archers but short on equipment to shoot. I’m sure one of them would be thrilled to have a chance to shoot a bow like this for a round, if it works out.

Alan

Offline avcase

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 01:00:35 pm »
One requirement for primitive flight bows that sometimes catches folks by surprise is that the string material also needs to be a natural material. For example, Linen, silk, hemp, ramie, etc. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if any of you need help with natural material strings. I have a pretty large stockpile of excellent quality linen and filament string that I am happy to share. I have thoroughly tested all of it and it is every bit as good as any of the past flight archers used.

I will be setting up the shooting lines on Wednesday, September 2nd, if you need to catch me in person. Otherwise call or contact me anytime.

Alan

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 04:21:39 pm »
Hey Alan, i don't think thats your phone number posted above. I just confused the hell out of some random guy.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline avcase

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 05:38:16 pm »
Hey Alan, i don't think thats your phone number posted above. I just confused the hell out of some random guy.

Oops, I don’t even know my own phone number anymore. I just fixed it. 971-998-5782.

I probably should call myself to make sure...

Aan

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 04:29:03 pm »
Oops, I don’t even know my own phone number anymore....

Aan

not sure if I should laugh or cry?

Offline avcase

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 06:10:51 pm »

not sure if I should laugh or cry?
[/quote]

Same here!  Ha!

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 04:40:50 pm »
Where can I find the rules for individual classes? I found the general rules PDF but I want actual rules for each class. Now that I've got a dog in this fight ;D ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 07:52:12 pm »
Where can I find the rules for individual classes? I found the general rules PDF but I want actual rules for each class. Now that I've got a dog in this fight ;D ;D

https://www.usflightarchery.com/?fbclid=IwAR11Qwu36vUyfIzFhcoW3y2NlUAWmdXxdWdjhxrVMtyzxNHM8jj1q_0lQXs