Author Topic: Why so thin?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline DC

Why so thin?
« on: August 19, 2020, 09:21:52 am »
I get YouTube on my TV now so I've been watching a lot of JackCrafty. Why is so much effort put into making the point thin?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Why so thin?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 12:04:31 pm »
Very likely for better penetration!  But my knapping skills are very beginner level, maybe it's like mountain climbing, "because I can, or maybe can't"!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 01:12:15 pm »
The main reason I make thin points on video is because 90% of my questions are some version of, "Can you show me how to create a thin arrowhead?"

In reality, most projectile points are not thin. The ratio of width to thickness is about 4 to 1 or 5 to 1. "Thin" points start at about 6 to 1 and go all the way to 12 to 1, or something like that. There are points that are thinner, but they are extremely rare.

In areas of the country where high quality knapping material can easily be found, thin points are common. But this doesn't explain the "why?".

The best explanation I've seen is that thin points have more value. They are easier to cut with, they are easier to sharpen, they are easier to notch, they snap off in the wound (sometimes an advantage for fighting/hunting strategies), and they reflect well on the knapper's skill.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 09:03:59 am »
Thank you :)