Author Topic: mokume gane  (Read 3890 times)

Offline osage outlaw

mokume gane
« on: August 19, 2020, 08:38:09 pm »
From Wikipedia:
Mokume-gane is a Japanese metalworking procedure which produces a mixed-metal laminate with distinctive layered patterns, as well as that laminate itself. Mokume-gane translates closely to "wood grain metal" or "wood eye metal" and describes the way metal takes on the appearance of natural wood grain.

You can make that from quarters because of their metal content.  I saved up a bunch from the year we got married.  I forged welded some of them together today and made a heart for my wife as a small anniversary gift.  It's not perfect but it turned out decent.  She liked it.  I tried 3 stacks of 16 quarters.  I was only successful with one.  It's hard to wire tie a stack of quarters together tight enough to work. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: mokume gane
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 10:19:54 pm »
Nice, Clint. Lots of history in that one little heart.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 01:42:45 pm »
Turned out nice Clint

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 02:00:13 pm »
wonderful.
did you have to flux?
i also wonder if a fella could tack weld the quarters together with tig and a high nickel rod.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 06:27:25 pm »
No flux.  You can tig weld them.  All I have is a flux core mig welder and that won't work.  I tried wiring them together and it was a pain and didn't work very well.  Next time I'm going to make a simple clamp out of scrap flat bar and bolts. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 05:15:57 am »
Pretty cool Clint. Whole new meaning to ironwood. Maybe you could stack them up on a railroad track.
Bjrogg
PS I’ve found little things I’ve made for my wife were the things she remembers the most. I’m surprised how she saved them.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 11:42:04 pm »
well clint, you impressed my dad! thought that that was an amazing anniversary gift!

P.S. Now my dad is thinking about letting me finally fire up my forge after i showed him this  ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 09:52:12 am »
Etched wrought iron has a woody pattern as well that I really like.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Stoner

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 01:16:18 pm »
That turned out amazing. I tried stacking a silver dollar, half dollar, quarter, nickel and dime on the railroad. They imprinted on each other, but did not fuse together. John