Author Topic: Attracting and cover scents  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Attracting and cover scents
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:43:12 am »
After reading the recent thread about baiting on TradGang got me thinking...are attracting or cover scents considered baiting? I've used both. I've never had much luck with attracting scents like Doe in Heat, etc. The few times I tried them, at the appropriate time of year seemed to scare off deer or at least they become very alert and to me these scents are counter productive. I have used cover scents on my boots, specifically fox urine or fresh deer urine or even walking in a fresh cow pie on my way to the stand. With the fox pee I've had both foxes and deer follow my trail right to the stand but as far as estrus scents or dominant buck scent they seem to scare off most deer. I know that in some areas they can be very productive but do you consider them baiting?
 We all know that your best cover is using the air movement in your favor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Attracting and cover scents
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 11:09:13 am »
Haven't used either, but I think baiting involves a food or supplement placed to draw the game to a specific spot for hunting purposes.  Legal in some states, and highly frowned on to the extreme in others.  Using cover scents would not be baiting as you are trying to "hide" your scent in my opinion.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 11:36:08 am »
As far as my state, if it's just a scent, its not baiting.  If it's anything for them to eat, that is considered baiting.  Similar to my water hole.  If its plain water it's legal.  If I add apple flavor or something than that's baiting. 

For cover scent, I stomp on walnuts or osage fruit before I enter the woods.  I smear it all over my boots and pant legs.   It's a natural smell that they are used to in my area.  It has worked very well for me.  I've never used much as far as attractant scent.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 12:03:21 pm »
I've seen attracting scents that smelled like corn, apples, grapes, etc. Even though these are only scents they smell like foods deer eat. Why wouldn't something that smells like corn, apples or grapes be like spreading apples, corn or grapes around your stand. I have never hunted near a corn field or apple trees because where I have hunted they weren't available but I have hunted near grapes. It's the scent of the ripe grapes that attracts the deer.
 Just my "stay at home" brain at work I guess.   ::) Too much time to think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 12:35:01 pm »
I still have a 1960's tube of green camo face paint that has the apple scent to it.  But then again I am old and so it the camo tube,lol

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 01:05:20 pm »
I copied this from our regulations:

Bait is considered any product that is transported into a hunting area and placed there for animal consumption. Baits can be in the form of salt, mineral blocks, prepared solid or liquid, or piles of apples or other food that is intended for the animal to eat.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 02:37:18 am »
For more than 30 yrs, I've always carried a Film canister, with cotton inside and  a clothes pin taped to it - filled with Vanilla extract. wonderful cover scent. Had Deer downwind Danger Close - and not got busted. the clothes pin is for attaching to a sm Limb or Stick - works like a Charm. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 07:17:25 am »
I had a lot of fawns follow me to my tree when I used a product called "cover up" many years ago, I it was nothing bit vanilla extract, at least it smelled like it.

I had mixed results with the various flavor of the day deer attractants and cover scents, mostly negative with an occasional buck that would show an interest in them.

I remember when skunk scent was the rage, phew, then fox pee, which wasn't much better.

I used to do all the scent free routines, now I don't wear camo, wear my hunting clothes unwashed for months (wool) until they get blood on them and hunt the wind. I actually have more opportunities to kill deer than I did back in the unscented days, I let most of them walk though.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 11:29:17 am »
Clint,
I assume that salt/mineral blocks for livestock are exempt?  Game animals don't care who it is put there for, however.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 01:01:26 pm »
My wife just bought the oils to make me a batch of cedar/vanilla cover soap. Curious how it works this year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 01:05:32 pm »
Jerry, in the states I've hunted in, NC, SC and GA I believe you can't hunt within 100 yards of man made salt licks. I'm not sure about natural salt deposits. I would guess they are acceptable to hunt near.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 01:14:39 pm »
i wonder if they come to the vanilla smell because they are looking for fruit/sweet smelling stuff like corn, beans and stuff like that.... just a thought
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 07:22:45 pm »
Mineral blocks or powder are considered baiting.  Doesn't matter if it's for livestock.  It's still illegal.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 07:39:56 pm »
Mineral blocks or powder are considered baiting.  Doesn't matter if it's for livestock.  It's still illegal.

Same here.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 07:37:02 am »
You can't use any attractant that is made from deer urine or parts in SC, now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?