Author Topic: Attracting and cover scents  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Attracting and cover scents
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 07:55:42 am »
Is that for disease control, Eddie.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 01:34:03 am »
It is here in Michigan Pat. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 01:26:17 pm »
Yes, Pat. They started it last year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 05:20:27 am »
You can put out salt/mineral blocks here, as long as they are 80% salt. Can't be mixed with apples/corn anything else, just salt, minerals. I have 10 or so on my farm, don't really hunt over them, never really seen them used much after the weather turns colder, I put them mainly for the deer to have in the summer months. I have a couple of stands that are in site but that's because their is White oak or persimmons in the area. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 06:44:57 am »
Deer have a stronger nose than a dog and a dog can smell every ingredient in a cake separately. So you can use a scent but it will not prevent the deer from actually smelling your scent. It only covers scents to us.  I have been using an ozone generator in a closet for the past year and a half and got amazing results. If I run it the night before ozone says on my clothes and binds with scent particles to neutralize them.

"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2020, 03:03:11 pm »
I've got some deer tallow and deer tallow/olive oil soap left if you need scent free soap. It has a pretty good content of glycerine, so it softens skin, too.

Just no added stinkum.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HH~

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 06:34:55 pm »
Never used cover, attractant or urine scents. Never will. No need. I have mineral licks on east and west of area. Doe use them heavy during the pre and post fawning. Then, not so much after weather tells them to start putting on fat for winter.’

A good unmolested mineral lick does a few things. If you only have a couple it works better depending on acerage.

A. Doe use them a lot in late spring and summer. They become at ease and familiar when frequenting them.

B. Where doe frequent bucks will check as a matter habit during pre rut.

The nest cover up cant beat an old experienced buck when he gets down wind. Stay clean, use your stand as best you can for forcasted winds.

You get one or two good chances every season. Lots must go right to even draw string on a goodun! Make the most of your opportunity.

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 10:29:50 am »
I think you can if the deer came from S.C.  You cant use bought lures that were produced from out of state deer.