Author Topic: Best way to fly with bows?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline sleek

Best way to fly with bows?
« on: August 18, 2020, 05:23:12 pm »
I'm going to the salt flats and need to fly. How would yall pack your bows for the flight to keep them from being broken? These are recurves so I can't just stick them inside pvc tubes.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Best way to fly with bows?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 06:04:19 pm »
PVC pipe with a cap at each end. You can put a few screws to hold the caps closed. Add a strap for carrying. I used a 4" for up to 4 straight limb bows. Maybe a 6" pipe for a recurve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 06:06:14 pm »
What about a hard shell rifle case?

Mark

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 12:07:29 am »
Might draw too much attention, but it would work for a short bow, or a takedown.  Mark it as "bows, no firearms enclosed", and lock it!  The pic is a good idea.
Hawkdancer

Mark
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 06:56:14 am »
Friends of mine have used snowboard and ski bags for flying their bows.  Pack clothing and other necessary travel materials around the bows to protect them.  The bags have a solid backing with wheels to roll them while moving from place to place.  I was always going to buy one for the next flying hunting trip but haven't planned such a trip so haven't used them myself.  Should be able to pick up a good used one right now at any budget store.  Worth a look.  Also much less conspicuous!

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 09:13:44 am »
I made one out of door skins and 1x2 bradded and glued together to send my bow to Badger. It seemed solid enough. Probably cheaper than 6" PVC. A lot lighter. I don't know if the bow made it though. It's just made it though customs. Yayyyy! I just found that out just now. I was getting worried.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 07:29:52 am »
Might draw too much attention, but it would work for a short bow, or a takedown.  Mark it as "bows, no firearms enclosed", and lock it!  The pic is a good idea.
Hawkdancer

Mark

If you do go the rifle case route don't be afraid to use it. I found out to my pleasure, that when the airline people saw me in line with a rifle case they took me to the front of the line and checked me in before everybody else. Got to bypass that Disney line in Orlando Airport.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?