Author Topic: Nebraska Upland Slam!!!!!  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Nebraska Upland Slam!!!!!
« on: August 23, 2020, 11:20:16 am »
Well Nebraskas doing a fun thing this year! if you are able to harvest a sharp-tailed grouse, greater prairie-chicken, ring-necked pheasant and northern bobwhite quail you get a certificate, upland slam pin and "Epic bragging rights!" now you can be sure i am going to try my hardest to do this!!! this is the first year ill be able to hunt on my own meaning that it will make things easier to go out! this is gonna be a fun season!!!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Nebraska Upland Slam!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 11:37:46 am »
Well, the first 3 shouldn't be too hard, but getting the quail with a bow could be very difficult (SH) >:D (lol)! (lol)!  Might have to try that with my Hawken 20 gauge drop-in barrel!  As soon as I can some wads and shot, and of course the seasons open!  Maybe we can meet in the middle for a hunt!  Btw, we were able to get season choice doe tags for the Upper Platte area, maybe we can make meat this year!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:46:36 am »
You had a birthday since last year?  Got to update your signature line if so! Hope it was a good one! If it coming up, have a good one!  I racked up one more this month, too.  Also, you will be surprised at how much your folks will learn in the next 5 years (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 12:03:59 pm »
Just think of the "epic bragging rights" and certificate bragging points you will make as a 16 year old accomplishing this task with a stick and string.
Good luck, Russell with whatever method you choose. You may even surprise yourself!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 12:34:03 pm »
Well, the first 3 shouldn't be too hard, but getting the quail with a bow could be very difficult (SH) >:D (lol)! (lol)!  Might have to try that with my Hawken 20 gauge drop-in barrel!  As soon as I can some wads and shot, and of course the seasons open!  Maybe we can meet in the middle for a hunt!  Btw, we were able to get season choice doe tags for the Upper Platte area, maybe we can make meat this year!
Hawkdancer

thinking about trying to get a quail with a bow in flight.... wow thats gonna be a challenge... i believe quail is the one thats illegal to shoot on the ground.... if you can even find them! gonna need to make up some flu flu!!! The other three will be a challange too, mostly because i dont have a dog, lots of zig zagging, stopping and starting, and covering the whole field and birds popping up right in front of you or 15 yards behind you!! i once got a bird by accidentally stepping on it!  :-\ poor thing. those birds really hunker down. It would be cool to meet up and hunt hawk! if its for pheasants its gonna be a lot of walking through wheat stubble!! gonna be lots of birds tho.

My birthday hasnt happened yet. Dec 8th will be my 16th and ill be able to have my chance against basically anything with a bow. dont know if ill feel ready enough for a deer but well see! if i can hit a pheasant in flight with a bow and arrow, i should be able to know if ill be able to hit a deer at 20yrd by then.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 12:40:07 pm by Deerhunter21 »

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 12:39:22 pm »
Just think of the "epic bragging rights" and certificate bragging points you will make as a 16 year old accomplishing this task with a stick and string.
Good luck, Russell with whatever method you choose. You may even surprise yourself!   8)

oh yeah! all the bragging points!! and some very good stories i would imagine! ill try all 4 with a bow!!! might not even see the greater prairie chicken or the sharp tailed grouse. but hey! maybe for my birthday we can take a camping trip to SW Nebraska and try my luck against them there!! they got some large amounts of land in the SW!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 03:43:50 pm »
Practice some aerial shots. Once you figure it out you'll see it ain't that hard. Just like with a gun the follow through is very important. I've never shot upland birds but shot lots of ducks in the coastal Southeast and not with a bow but a shotgun. I've never seen the front bead of a shotgun while shooting. I shoot shotguns like I shoot a bow, instinctively.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 09:04:31 pm »
Ill need to find a place to do some aerial shots... my parents might not like me doing it in the backyard.... there is a field right next to our house though...  ;)

I was always a good shotgun shooter. always just came naturally and i never saw the bead either because i kept my eyes locked with the gun. eyes didnt move if the gun didnt so if i was looking at the clay pigeon my gun was pointed at it.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 07:05:28 am »
Same with a bow.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 01:27:23 pm »
Time to make some flu-flus, with bird points/tanglers!  Doubling/tripling up with shotgun, muzzleloader, and bow would really blow folks away!  Just not too sure about the stubble fields - I'd have to be a blocker instead of a driver!  Senior guy privileges!  Have to find somebody with a good bird dog!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 01:53:56 pm »
hahaha! sure ill flush the birds towards you and you shoot them lol!!

Me and my dad are planning ahead into the future for a day! i sure am getting excited!! Ive invited one of my good buddies who took me out on my first pheasant hunt!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 11:36:23 pm »
Sounds like a plan!  We hope to get into the field as close to opening day as possible!  We have gigs lined up for the 4th and 5th though.  Got to get some more places to hunt around here!  We'll be looking for the birds mainly, as well as deer.  Don't like to go after rabbits until there has been a killing frost.  Plan on getting turkey tags before the season opens.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 11:43:00 am »
Sounds like you all are going to have a blast over there ! And its nice to know there's another teenager in to stinging sticks and flingen sharp points! I'm turning 16 myslelf in October! First year out on my own too! *excited*

-Fox
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:02:49 pm by Fox »
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 02:06:43 pm »
Good luck to both of you on your first solo hunts.

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 02:15:06 pm »
Thanks pat. And yes have a good hunt Russel!
Why must we make simple things so complicated?