Author Topic: West Systems  (Read 2207 times)

Offline DC

West Systems
« on: August 25, 2020, 02:52:06 pm »
I use 105/205 West Systems. Has anyone ever found a chart that that will give you the cure time at different temperatures? The best I have found is a graph that shows that, yes indeed, it does cure faster at higher temperatures. I knew that. I would like times.

Offline Badger

Re: West Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 03:16:14 pm »
The ratios you mix also have an effect on cure times as I am sure you already know. For some reason very few bow builders use west systems. I used it twenty years ago with no issues, not sure if it is still the same.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 03:27:11 pm »
I'm not sure about the ratio thing. Any time I've messed up a bit it didn't set properly and they advise against it on their website. Apparently it works with Smooth-On though. I've had no issues with West Systems even though I don't think it was designed with gluing in mind.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 06:42:39 pm »
I think I’ve actually seen a  chart but are you really in that much of a hurry?
eta: the general rule seem to be the 18 degree rule.  For every 18 degrees above 72 cure time is halved.  After gel state of course.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 06:54:04 pm by PatM »

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 06:56:31 pm »
No, it's just some days things work out that I do a glueup first thing. Well, after coffee. Then if it's a nice day I can put it in the truck and if I was confident in the cure time I could do the next glueup that evening. That would save a full day. I already do that depending on what I'm gluing. If it's a non high stress joint then I'll trust it after six hours in the truck. I have a gut feeling that I could trust a high stress joint after six hours. I always put the leftover epoxy in the truck with the bow just so i know it is going to cure and it's usually hard and crunchy after about 4-5 hours.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 11:48:49 pm »
If the left overs are cured  - its all cured :)
One reason I love EA40 is its cured after 4 hours at 40 degs. Which means you can get lots done in a day with proper planning.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 03:24:34 am »
   We have had some hot weather here lately and I have been using tightbond. 3 hours wrapped up then I take it out and clean it up, let it sit for a couple more hours and get it to floor tiller, next morning finish tiller. I can do one bow a day without really rushing.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 09:09:59 am »
I've been more and more amazed at Tite Bond and other wood glues. 30 min clamp time is pretty quick. I'm still a little concerned about the water that soaks into the joint though and that will keep me using epoxy.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 09:14:55 am »
   We have had some hot weather here lately and I have been using tightbond. 3 hours wrapped up then I take it out and clean it up, let it sit for a couple more hours and get it to floor tiller, next morning finish tiller. I can do one bow a day without really rushing.

What are you gluing with the TB?

Mark

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 01:28:53 pm »
Even at only 24 degs i've made bows with TB3 after 12 hours. None of that water is at the back/belly surfaces so makes no difference to much if anything :)

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 05:08:10 pm »
sorry about the slight hijack;I plan on using that same combo DC, do you use any of the additives such as the 403 microfibres?

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 05:35:53 pm »
Cabosil. I think it's fumed silica. Just to thicken it so it doesn't run all over.

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 03:50:36 pm »
thanks

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »
Call their technical support number they are incredibly helpful and will have all that info at their finger tips. West Systems were the pioneers in epoxy resins and they know their stuff...