Author Topic: Deer Calls?  (Read 11374 times)

Offline Fox

Deer Calls?
« on: August 28, 2020, 11:47:13 am »
Do any of you use deer calls? (I assume you do ) if so did you make them or just buy them, I know there's tones to buy but i would rather make them.... any ideas?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Deer Calls?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 01:01:23 pm »
Some people use predator calls, a doe comes to the call and hopefully a buck follows behind
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 02:05:24 pm »
I carry a grunt call every time I hunt. I'm not sure of the brand but it will make a buck grunt and a doe grunt. I've called deer in with it and helped to relax deer with it. I think a grunt call is very useful. I've never tried to make one but you can make the grunt noise with your mouth with practice.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 03:33:41 pm »
Okay thanks guys.. I may just try to find that pat

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 07:23:18 pm »
Our archery hunting crew has used grunt calls for over 30 years.  We have tried a number of big name and custom made calls.  They all have different levels of sound and volume.  What we have learned is to have a call that you can "reach out" with if the buck is a ways away without the call "quacking".  When you get the volume and pitch to the buck, whatever distance, and he reacts, call quietly 1 or 2 more times then wait.  If he heard you he is either going to ignore you, come right away or sneak in later looking for the buck that made the call.  You never know as each animal is different in the way they react.  A grunt call is definitely in our reach every time we are after a buck.  Does seem to shy away from a grunt call.  They must think it's a horny old buck that they're not interested in just yet.

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 09:47:34 pm »
Okay thanks jimmi! Do you have a call you would recommend?

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 03:00:36 am »
Deer make sounds. When you hear them it is memorable. I have always tried to mimic those sounds. Saying MEEEEEK, and adding the sheep or goat bleat as you say it; if that makes any since; I have found to be a great sound to make by mouth. Saying NEEEEEEEP with a throaty deep almost growl, I have found to be a very effective grunt. Because I don't have to pull out a call and I am always ready and I have heard these sounds in the woods I have a lot of confidence in them. Try it and always be listening for these sounds in the woods.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 06:51:25 am »
Have had a lot of success calling in Bucks during the rut with bleeting. Baaaaaaaa. I only use it if a Buck is out of range, some come right in and sometimes they ignore it.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 08:40:17 am »
I got a little grunt call and a fawn bleat to try with mulies.  They get pretty talkative sometimes, but they're really quiet about it.  You have to be in really close to hear them.  Sound just like whitetail grunts.  Once I saw a fawn that was goofing around and got separated from the herd. Started bleating like a lamb.  I could hear it clearly from about 200 yards away.

I can do a reasonable facsimile of both sounds with my mouth, but I think I'll stick with the plastic calls until I have a better idea of how they work.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 04:05:15 pm »
Fawn bleats work but most deer that came to a fawn distress call will come in ready to fight so be ready for some fast action.
 Years ago I was sitting on the ground with my back against a large red oak. I'd bleat for a few seconds and then wait 10 minutes or so and try again, watching and listening for anything. After about an hour or so I started to get up and move and as soon as I moved I heard her blow and felt a strong blast of air on the back of my neck.  (A)  I never heard her come up behind at all and I was listening.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 04:26:52 pm »
Fawn bleats work but most deer that came to a fawn distress call will come in ready to fight so be ready for some fast action.
 Years ago I was sitting on the ground with my back against a large red oak. I'd bleat for a few seconds and then wait 10 minutes or so and try again, watching and listening for anything. After about an hour or so I started to get up and move and as soon as I moved I heard her blow and felt a strong blast of air on the back of my neck.  (A)  I never heard her come up behind at all and I was listening.

Wow, bet that got your heart rate up!  Who's hunting whom?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 05:31:30 pm »
It took me a few minutes before I could get up.  :o

Offline Fox

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 08:27:24 pm »
Haha that's a great story... So whadya recommend? A bleat can? A grunt?  Something else?

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 07:22:07 am »
We have purchased "inexpensive" calls at local big box stores and ordered custom calls.  Seems like every one has a different sound capability.  We like ones that can be "tuned" by moving the rubber band holding the reed in position.  You can move the band to create a deeper "old buck" sound or to a higher "young buck" sound.  Again the big thing is to be able to have volume without squawking.  We have called to bucks out over 100 yards with a loud noise to get their attention then use the softer call to convince them to investigate.  Using game calls is another trick in the bag to get close to whatever animal you are hunting.  Good luck!  Watch some videos from some of the name brand manufacturers to get started.

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 11:07:28 am »
Okay, thanks for the good advice jimmi!