Author Topic: Speed of cast vs draw weight?  (Read 9599 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Speed of cast vs draw weight?
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2020, 05:08:45 pm »
It seems like bowyers have already figured all this out but people are hopeful there's some magical other combination lurking out there.

Pat,

My goal is not to find a magical combination (I don't think such a thing exists) but to be able to understand the mechanics of the bow limbs and materials in order to be able to design a bow on paper and build it with high assurance of getting what I want without building 100's of bows and building an empirical database. As an engineer it is normal to me to use math to define the world around me and allow me to design structures and machines that work the first time out of the box. This is no fundamentally no different.

Bow making has room for everyone in it, from those that want to use basic hand tools and craftsmanship to reveal the bow inside a stave to those who want to make bows in a more precise fashion, through understanding of the physics involved. All of these approaches are legitimate in my opinion, it is really just different strokes for different folks.

Mark

For sure,  but Archery The Technical side did all this for you  decades ago.

Offline willie

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2020, 07:05:49 pm »
Are moe values obtained in a bend test the average of the moe in compression and the moe in tension?
If moe tension varied much from moe compression,  then it could be noticed when comparing the averaged moe value obtained from a bend test to those values obtained from a compression test.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:41:49 pm by willie »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2020, 08:23:40 pm »
What a journey it has been for me.

I try to let the stave dictate the design but that's after 2-300 bows.

Then there's changing the design on the fly because I thought it was the right  one for the stave...

But what do I know I'm just an old farm boy at heart.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2020, 08:40:43 pm »
Yes Jawge I’m lost too. But I’m trying to understand. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2020, 09:22:40 pm »
Arvin, just a different approach outlined here. I taught chemistry for so many years. I used bow making to relax so I kept the math/science/ engineering out of it as much as possible.

My wife always noted that I was in my happy place while building bows.

It is good that some enjoy the math of it all. :)

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2020, 09:02:58 am »
I've always wanted to know how things work, even down to the molecular level. Just curious I guess. I'm not even sure how much of the knowledge gets transferred to my bow making because I really don't do a lot of conscious planning. I get an idea and go with it and take note if it works or not. I just wish there was an Issac Assimov of bow physics so I could get a clear understanding without the math ;D

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2020, 09:07:41 am »

Not really. It started down that path, but is merely a first step.

Mark

Offline PatM

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2020, 10:06:45 am »

Not really. It started down that path, but is merely a first step.

Mark

But where are you in your ability to execute the science with a piece of wood?   

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2020, 10:31:36 am »
Oh come on Pat. These guys are doing what they do best. And I bet there are some that can make a really good bow. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2020, 10:47:48 am »
Oh come on Pat. These guys are doing what they do best. And I bet there are some that can make a really good bow. Arvin

He was just starting with board bows this year though .   Sometimes it's best to  learn more of the art before the science.   Case in point, DC.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2020, 11:54:21 am »

My last bow I got the limb thickness to within ~0.002" of what the design called for without too much trouble. When it was done I needed to do one light scraping on one limb to get the tiller where I wanted. Without the science I never would have got as close on the tiller as I did because I don't have years of experience to work by eye.

Lam bows are easier to be accurate with because I will use a thickness sander to get the components made accurately before I even start. I am trying to remove as much of the art as possible in order to increase the predictability. I don't have to be able to tiller as well as DC or Badger if I can design the bow on paper and then make it to those dimensions with good accuracy. Which is a good thing, because I am never going to be able to tiller as well as many of the veterans here.

Mark

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2020, 12:23:47 pm »
i like to make self bows and stave bows,, and its difficult to measure some things,, but is rewarding when they turn out,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2020, 01:23:36 pm »

I don't have to be able to tiller as well as DC or Badger if I can design the bow on paper and then make it to those dimensions with good accuracy. Which is a good thing, because I am never going to be able to tiller as well as many of the veterans here.

Mark

Those two things are the same thing.

Offline willie

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2020, 01:48:45 pm »
another thread off the rails, and I am not surprised the OP has not been back since he posted
I don’t mind the thread straying at all. I’m taking it all in and trying to learn.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:01:28 pm by willie »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2020, 01:58:58 pm »
what were we talking about, (-S