Author Topic: Speed of cast vs draw weight?  (Read 9261 times)

Offline mmattockx

Re: Speed of cast vs draw weight?
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2020, 11:04:22 pm »
Do your calculated dimensions not indicate a bend?

They do, but that bend occurs as long as I get the dimensions right in the first place. My last bow was the first I tried this method on and it only required one slight scraping to get the tiller I wanted after the initial wood removal work. I didn't need to tiller it from nothing, I got 99% of the way there without ever pulling it on the tree. It would have been much harder for me to achieve the same result doing it by eye from a rough floor tiller.

No, you are not misreading the data supplied in the publication.

Ok, good. I missed the MOE on the compression page, what you are talking about now makes sense. I will go through the pages you just posted and come back to this.

I just want to know what wood or combo will get me the fastest arrow speed at the lowest draw weight. Talking straight end longbows and hunting weight arrows. 50 lb is probably about my max.

For the fastest bow you want the least amount of set with the lightest limb weight. That is, you want a bow that is not overbuilt beyond what is needed to have very minimal set and no extra material left to slow the limbs down. If you are willing to heat or glue in reflex that helps early draw weight and increases energy storage for higher performance.

If you have osage easily available it is probably the best choice for you and is a superb bow wood. Follow Badger's no set tillering method and you will be very close to the best you can get with your restrictions on the design.

Mark

Offline Woody roberts

Re: Speed of cast vs draw weight?
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2020, 08:45:19 am »
Badgers no set tillering method? What is it and where do I find it?