Author Topic: Over cooked stone?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline paulc

Over cooked stone?
« on: August 29, 2020, 12:10:58 pm »
Is this what over cooked stone looks like?

Too hot? Or too long? Crappy stone? Thanks for your thoughts?

Paul

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Over cooked stone?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 12:56:43 pm »
It could be. I’m not sure. Is that what it looks it when you try to flake it.

If you overcook it it becomes very brittle. It just kinda crumbles when you hit it. Breaks instead of flakes
At least that’s what happened to the stuff I overcooked.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 01:00:52 pm »
That looks like crappy cracked up Texas rock to me. I bring home a couple 5 gallon buckets of the stuff after the winter months out west and maybe I get a 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of good stuff.

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 04:04:55 pm »
JEB, it is Texas rock. I had purchased perhaps 8 or 10 stone in a box from an online vendor. Probably 3/4 looked like this after cooking. It just crumbles and fractures randomly when  hit....it is nice and waxy but crazed and I can do zip with it. Maybe if I had cooked it less BJ it would flake proper?

Paul

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 04:13:53 pm »
Yes, that's one type of heat treating fail.

The heat was probably too high. A lot of TX rock, especially the darker colors and translucent stuff, needs only slight heat. Some as low as 275 F. I usually test a few spalls at 300 F. That way, I don't lose too much stone in the test phase.

The stone doesn't look crappy. Did you try to knap some raw?

"Too long" is usually not a thing. Stone can stay hot for days without problems.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 04:17:19 pm by JackCrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline paulc

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 08:12:16 pm »
Thanks Patrick, I did try some raw and it refused to break...maybe I should try another box and keep the temp down....

Paul

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 09:17:29 am »
Not sure who you are getting your Texas rock from but give Curtis Smith a call. He shows up at a few of the knap ins that I go to and I have seen his Texas rock and it looks pretty good.  If you order from the same guy you may be getting that same rock .  All Texas rock ain't equal.  I gather it up from a 60 mile radius and some looks like the stuff you have after a heat treat and others butters up real nice. Patrick has a heat treating chart at the bottom of his posts. Follow that as he knows what he is doing.