Author Topic: L and R wing/helical twist and single bevel broadheads... confused please help!!  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Fox

So i have a set of left wing broadheads and i cant for the life of me figure what kind of fletch rotats what direction!!! they say your supposed to match left wing broadheads with left wing feathers.... but when i fletch arrows to add helical twist (looking at from the nock to the point) i make the front end of the fletch go to the right correct?? and doesn't this make the arrow rotate to the right??? also how do i tell left wing feathers from right wing? please help I'm thoroughly confused...

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

Or should i fletch my arrows so that a left wing the front end of the feather goes to the left instead of the right??

Offline Fox

Any chance someone could post a pic of fletching top down that you know makes the arrow rotat for a left wing broadhead?

Offline Hawkdancer

Fox,
If I understand your questions, a right wing fletch twists to the right as you look from the nock to the point, your single bevel broad head will be to the right.  Bevel one edge, flip and bevel the other.  Opposite for left wing fletching and broadheads.  I think I read somewhere on this site that most commercial fletching is right wing because the pros get all the left wing fletching.  I reserve the right to be wrong.  If you can get a wing with the feathers attached, it will help you immensely.  Just be sure to match your Fletches on the same arrow, along with the bevel.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

Okay, thanks Hawkdancer... I did get my feathers straight off a turkey wing ... And just finished fletching my arrows for this deer season, you confirmed what i thought, thanks again!

-Fox

Offline Tommy D

I believe - and I could be wrong - that if you straight fletch a Left wing feather it will still spin arrow left and a right wing will spin arrow right in flight. If you add helical to this, then that may well overpower what the feather “naturally” creates. So if you put right helical on with a left wing feather it will spin right I suspect....

I believe Left wing was preferred by right handed shooters shooting with no shelf/ rest because the quill is on the side away from the hand and less likely to cut your bow holding hand

http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/guide.htm

Offline DC

That's a great link Tommy, thanks :)

Offline Fox

Oh boy...  (lol) I can’t seem to wrap my brain around this  (lol)

Offline Hawkdancer

I think a straight fletch with either is going to minimize twist!  A lot depends on distance to the target, you will get more twist at 20 yards than 10 yards.  You can check this by marking the "cock" feather, or the upper feather on a 2 fletch!  If it hits where you want it to,  nothing else matters!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry