Author Topic: Not going to hunt this year  (Read 12419 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Not going to hunt this year
« on: September 01, 2020, 08:33:53 pm »
Hey, gents.  I just need to get this off my chest with some people who might understand.  I have a general elk tag, and I was going to pick up a deer tag and take the Badgerling out on her first deer hunt tomorrow.  But the way I've been shooting, I don't think I'll even try this year.  My arrows are all over the place.  Even at ten yards, only about one out of three is on the button.  At 20 yards, forget it.  I lost an arrow tonight because I missed my 4' square target butt.  Pathetic.  I'm no Howard Hill, but I'm better than that.

I just can't get my head in the zone.  There's too much going on, lots of really unrelenting, stressful decisions needing to be made, demands I don't feel up to meeting.  Life is a bit on the rough side right now.  My mind all over the place, and my arrows are following.  I just can't settle myself enough to make decent shots. 

Wounding an animal and losing it would be worse than nothing.  So, I don't think I'm going to be hunting this fall.  I spent the whole winter and spring looking forward to September, and now it's here:  The mulies will be shedding their velvet, and the raghorns will be starting to get horny, and I'm scared to go out.  I don't know what's worse, not being able to hunt, or missing that great feeling that comes with a well-placed arrow.  It's a bummer.

OK.  Thanks.
Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Not going to hunt this year
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 08:36:29 pm »
Thomas, there is more honor and integrity in your statement than most of us can communicate in a lifetime.

I respect you even more for stating these hard truths.  Hope things turn around for you soon.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 09:07:11 pm »
That really stinks. Ive been there where I couldn’t enjoy the hunt because of all the pressures on me. Thank goodness most of those have worked themselves out for now. I’m confident a new batch of troubles will come along eventually.

Hope you get yours worked out.
Woody

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 10:28:52 pm »
Get the tag and take the Badgerling out for her first hunt!  That is a very important event, and may help you settle some of your stress issues.  These are very stressful times, and any type of regenerating activity is good.  Not real sure we will get to bow hunt the early part of the season, but we will get out for the muzzleloader and rifle seasons.  Hope you get the issues resolved!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 11:12:06 pm »
Get the tag and take the Badgerling out for her first hunt!  That is a very important event, and may help you settle some of your stress issues.  These are very stressful times, and any type of regenerating activity is good.  Not real sure we will get to bow hunt the early part of the season, but we will get out for the muzzleloader and rifle seasons.  Hope you get the issues resolved!
Hawkdancer

Oh, we'll go out and do something fun in the wild country.  Just not slinging arrows in the general direction of critters.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 03:29:47 am »
small game hunting could be the key

Offline HH~

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 07:17:18 am »
What equipment are you shooting all over the place?

If its selfbow? , It could be any number of things.

With a general elk tag, that is an aweful lot of food. I would figger it out and hit the woods. I'm sure its an equipment issue Tom.

If its between going hungry and shooting a modern bow, moder bow it is.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 07:28:22 am »
I won't bow hunt this year either, my shooting skills are just fine but I lost my good hunting land as well as my ability to drag a deer because of back and hip problems. I can hunt my little 4 acres and my neighbors 50 acres but the bow hunting opportunities are very slim because of the lay of the land which is mostly open fields and almost vertical drop offs off the top into creek bottoms.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 05:57:01 pm »
What equipment are you shooting all over the place?

If its selfbow? , It could be any number of things.

With a general elk tag, that is an aweful lot of food. I would figger it out and hit the woods. I'm sure its an equipment issue Tom.

If its between going hungry and shooting a modern bow, moder bow it is.

Shawn~

I appreciate that, Shawn, but I think the problem is between my ears.  I got pretty sick a couple weeks ago and I'm not 100% yet, so that might be part of it too.  For what it's worth, I'm shooting a 72" locust selfbow that's around 55-60# @27".  Reasonably well-tuned arrows with 235 gr heads.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 05:57:55 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.  I'll get it figured out eventually, just maybe not in time for this year's hunting.  The Mrs. and I had a good, long talk last night about some of the financial/professional situations that are ailing us, and I think we got some things headed the right direction, so maybe better times are ahead on that front, too.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 09:15:51 pm »
Nope we don't really know what's going on with you,,,,you are among friends here,,,my advice ,,,,get a camera,,go sit in the woods (insert spiritual thoughts here) Mother Nature can heal,,, my. Friend ,,it's not about the kill,,we all want to feel connected to something bigger than ourselves,,thanks for sharing,,,go chill good luck! JeffW

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 02:27:12 am »
I feel the same way, many years. I look forward so much that I romanticize hunting season to a point where it can't live up to my fantasy. The prep is hard and takes time and much thought. Then the reality of hunting season comes and I am overwhelmed. I finally have been able to let go of the fantasy. I take what I can from life and put 1st things first. I still am drawn to the woods but I don't get as frustrated when life get's in the way.

I have not shot enough with my hunting weight bow but I am shooting fine with my lower poundage spare bow. I may hunt with it this year, or if I get time to build up to my hunting bow, I will hunt with it. God will honor my pursuits. He always does. I will continue to put 1st things 1st and work with my hands. If I need more time for things he will provide it.

Be of good cheer my friend. Help is on the way. Live , love and be happy.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 08:18:30 am »
Yeah.  I'll be OK.  Just lots of stressful situations that sort of piled up all at once over the spring and summer, and that's affected my archery practice.  We'll be OK.  Thanks for the support, guys.  Maybe my archery skills will have a miraculous recovery and I'll get out.  Or maybe I'll just hunt with the camera this year.  We'll see.  God is good and things work out, sooner or later.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 08:17:28 pm »
I just got back from shooting in the back field.  I was really on tonight.  I think I've about got this shooting problem licked.  It seems to be a combination of three things:  1.  Not concentrating.  Some of our stressful situations are, if not resolving, at least becoming a little more reasonable.  2.  Not being able to pick a spot.  Last year I got some of those progressive lenses, and the way I hold my head puts "the spot" in the blurry zone.  Going back to my old glasses for shooting sessions lets me focus more clearly.  3.  Lousy releases.  Stressed mind=rigor mortis string hand.  Tonight I was reminding myself to just relax and release.

I'm pretty consistent at 10 yards again.  20 is coming back.  30 still needs some work, but it'll come.  Might be a hunt in the works for next weekend after all...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 08:37:19 pm »
I hope this trend of improvement continues, brother.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.