Author Topic: Not going to hunt this year  (Read 12421 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Not going to hunt this year
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 09:53:10 pm »
Thanks, JW.  I knew I'd get things figured out.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 05:22:28 am »
Ya I have trouble with my progressive lens also, it all get blurry when I tilt my head at full draw, I had a pair of glasses made with only distance and a small bifocal in the bottom for reading if needed while hunting, also a little bigger, that really helped. Once you learn to shoot it is 90% in your head, some days you are on and some you aren't. I go out and shoot a few arrows and if I ant into it I lay it down and come back another time,if I keep shooting on them bad days it just drains my confidants so I have learned to just lay it down. Good luck with what ever is going on in you life right now, hope it will all get better as I am sure it will. Life is full of ups and downs that's for sure. I truly love archery and bow hunting but a man still has to keep his priorities in check and as much as I love it , it isn't at the top of my priority list.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 11:09:09 am »
One step at a time!  You got the shooting squared away, hopefully, the rest improves soon, as well!  Good luck!  I had cataract surgery on both eyes and opted for distance vision, still need the readers for close work and bifocal safety glasses when shooting or hunting, sometimes.  Haven't experienced the "blur" yet!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TimBo

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 01:05:21 pm »
I noticed a few years ago that I was getting split vision while shooting (and reading music) and got prisms added to my glasses prescription.  I still like to shoot with more of an open stance, because if I really do a full-on "Olympic recurve" stance (or what I think that would be anyway), I end up looking too much out of the edge of my glasses.  I can see where progressives would be even worse.  I'm glad you figured it out!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 01:30:42 pm »
I'll be missing Bow season this year also. Around the first of March my shoulders and neck started hurting real bad after I did two days of chainsaw and ax work. Finally went to the Doctor and had an MRI done and I have two vertebrae squeezing nerves in my neck. Waiting to see the Neurosurgeon right now but Covid has that messed up. And like you, also have the stress factor going now, my house goes on the market October 16 and expect it will sell real fast. Trying to build or buy a place in SC and figure out how to get 25 years of stuff packed and moved to somewhere if I can't find a place in time. I am hunting muzzle loader season next week in SC.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 08:01:42 am »
Eddie, have you thought of using a POD or other similar storage/delivery container companies. They seem pretty reasonable with a long time limit.
Good luck with selling your house. If the real estate market is like here it shouldn't be a problem. Seems to be a sellers market so strat high. You can always come down if needed.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 08:11:42 am »
Pat, we are thinking about the POD's. And the houses are going for crazy prices here and the ones on my street have been selling in just a couple of days after going on the market.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 11:29:37 am »
You might be able to rent a 53' commercial trailer with a lift gate, we used a 26' Uhaul truck and still had to make 4 or 5 runs with our utility trailer, as well as putting a lot of stuff in our camper!  But we went from a high market into a low market and had a storage bin, but we only moved about 180 miles.  Still sold, gave away, or trashed a lot of stuff!  Get some young guys to help with the loading!  The Uhaul vendor may have some guys who know what they are doing!  Good luck on the hunt!  Post pics!
Hawkdancer
PS:  After the move, most of what you are looking for will be in a box, likely in the garage!  (lol). Very probably for a couple years or more >:D (lol)  Trust me, I know!  Been there, done that!  Good luck with the move.  Jerry
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 06:42:54 pm »
I believe we are going with PODS. Jerry, we have a 550 mile move. But also have to get something to move too.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 08:17:57 am »
Well, I'm whacking the 3d prairie dog out to 20 yards pretty regularly now.  Starting to zero in on 30.  Missed deer and elk season, but it sure feels good to have my shooting mojo coming back.

Speaking of which...we got a really good offer on our place, so we're probably going to be moving into town.  Plus side:  I'll have a garage where I can set up a nice bow-building workshop.  Minus side:  How the heck am I going to shoot my bow in town???
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 08:21:11 am »
How the heck am I going to shoot my bow in town???

i shoot in my backyard but i lose to many arrows under the grass so i really just dont shoot anymore. if i ever go hunting my range will be limited severly because i just cant practice at a range of 20-30 yards its more like 15 at max but mostly 5 yrds or 10 yards
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 04:14:40 pm »
I can shoot maybe 25 yards max if I scrunch up in the corner, which is plenty for me.  A good backstop is key!  I shoot into a bag that sits in front of the hay bales in front of my compost bin (which has one of those black rubber stall mats hanging on it), which is in front of my 6' wood fence to the alley, and if I really launch one past that, it will hit the neighbor's garage.  Unless I am working on flight shooting, I don't think I will ever shoot over the garage...although my kids have shot over the fence!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 07:12:51 am »
Hey, gents.  I just need to get this off my chest with some people who might understand.  I have a general elk tag, and I was going to pick up a deer tag and take the Badgerling out on her first deer hunt tomorrow.  But the way I've been shooting, I don't think I'll even try this year.  My arrows are all over the place.  Even at ten yards, only about one out of three is on the button.  At 20 yards, forget it.  I lost an arrow tonight because I missed my 4' square target butt.  Pathetic.  I'm no Howard Hill, but I'm better than that.

I just can't get my head in the zone.  There's too much going on, lots of really unrelenting, stressful decisions needing to be made, demands I don't feel up to meeting.  Life is a bit on the rough side right now.  My mind all over the place, and my arrows are following.  I just can't settle myself enough to make decent shots. 

Much respect sir...You sound responsible...We owe it, practice and earn it brother...It will all click for you when you can concentrate...
                       Don

Wounding an animal and losing it would be worse than nothing.  So, I don't think I'm going to be hunting this fall.  I spent the whole winter and spring looking forward to September, and now it's here:  The mulies will be shedding their velvet, and the raghorns will be starting to get horny, and I'm scared to go out.  I don't know what's worse, not being able to hunt, or missing that great feeling that comes with a well-placed arrow.  It's a bummer.

OK.  Thanks.
Thomas
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2020, 07:47:02 am »
Thanks, Don.  It's coming back.  I'm head-shotting the rabbit target regularly at 10 yards now.  Man, that feels good.  Usually in the deer-kill zone at 20.  Still pretty worthless at 30.   :o  I might try to go whack a deer at the in-laws' place during rifle season, but now we're packing up Badger Manor for the big move into town, so there might not be time.  Sure would like to get some venison in the freezer and a skin or two to work this winter.

But...the shooting is coming back, that's the important thing.  If nothing else, I think some rabbits are going to get perforated this winter.  20 yards should be plenty good for that.    (SH)                     (B)

Thanks for the support, guys!  Much appreciated.
Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2020, 08:03:29 am »
if you can nail a rabbit head at 10 id say your doing! some of the time i hear people dont shoot past that!! really i guess you could just go out and say that your only going to shoot within that and youd have a better chance at a deer than not! and rabbit tase really good with a stick of butter!  (lol) (lol)  (SH) (B)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.