Author Topic: Not going to hunt this year  (Read 12432 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Not going to hunt this year
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2020, 09:17:55 am »
if you can nail a rabbit head at 10 id say your doing! some of the time i hear people dont shoot past that!! really i guess you could just go out and say that your only going to shoot within that and youd have a better chance at a deer than not! and rabbit tase really good with a stick of butter!  (lol) (lol)  (SH) (B)

I think that for a lot of back-east stand hunters, guys that really know what they're doing, 10-15 yards is plenty.  Around here the country tends to be open, ground cover is very low or non-existent.  Even in the mountain forests, 30-50 yard shots are the norm for the wheely boys.  If I'm not hitting at 30 yards, my odds of getting a shot are pretty low.  It's OK.  I missed this season, but I'll be back.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2020, 01:06:00 pm »
Bunny head at 10 yards!  That is real good shooting!  Good luck on the hunt!  We can get about 18 yards in the shop, but we're not set up outdoors yet, have to find about 4 straw bales and mow the back "40" !  Hope to get some time to get after deer this week or next, still trying to line up hunting areas, as well.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2020, 02:56:27 pm »
can you set you bow up,,, so you are point on at 30 yards,,
that always helped me when I was in a slump,,,

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2020, 03:08:41 pm »
can you set you bow up,,, so you are point on at 30 yards,,
that always helped me when I was in a slump,,,

Yeah, I need to figure out where I'm point on and work from there.  I think there isn't as much difference between gap and instinctive shooting as most people think; instinctive shooters just don't do it consciously; split vision is somewhere in between.  At least, that's how it seems to work with me.  Going back to gap/POA shooting is what helped me out of my last long-distance slump.  Good suggestion.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2020, 03:16:33 pm »
thanks,, I really got my confidence up, shooting deer with point on,, I raised my anchor, and shot a long arrow, I was point on at 20 yards made a big difference,, at 30 I just aimed a bit high,,maybe 6 inches,,

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2021, 09:07:04 am »
sometimes the facts speak for themselves. 4 or 5 years ago I suddenly realized that I was having focus problems and just couldn't see good enough to shoot like I was used to. eyes checked, Macular degeneration was the problem....sort of. So I began getting shots in my left eye and figured that I would never shoot instinctive again. I began taking all kinds of supplaments and viatamins to help and they did for my right eye. Then, after a lot of practice shooting again, I hunted three times, limiting myself to a 10 yaed shot. the second week of Oct 2019, My retina doc suddenly realized that I had a very sagging cornea. Nov 12th, cornea transplant but no heavy lifting of any sort. So sat out Nov and Dec and Jan so far. It takes up to a year to heal but already I am seeing so much better out of it than before. building bows and getting ready for next season. Renewed Hope to hunt again! Jerry