Author Topic: Bear hunting scenario question for you guys  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Bear hunting scenario question for you guys
« on: September 04, 2020, 09:25:16 pm »
I'm currently in the middle of my archery bear season.  I and my partner sre not experienced  bear hunters.  Neithet of us drew any tags this year so we figured we'd give bear a try.

The last few days we've been closing in on a medium size black bear. 

This evening we come around a bend in an old logging road at the same time she's crossing the road.  She steps,  we stop.  We stare at each other.   We're camo'd up and she's trying to figure what the heck we are while we're frozen out of bow range (Grozer biocomposite Scythian in case you wanted to know), no scrub to hide behind,  or cover...we're in the middle of the road.

She eventually gives a short huff and trots away in to the forrest.  We gave her about 5 mins then proceeded in a direction we thought we might cut her off but didn't see her again.   Went back to the spot and laser'd it at 44 yards, definitely out of my range.

Two questions:

1) what would you experienced bear hunters have done during the encounter in the road? (remember, no cover)

2) what would you have done after she trotted off in the woods?  Persue immediately?  Wait and then peruse?  Back off the pressure and come back tomorrow?  Start predator calling? Pee on all the trees to show dominance? ;D

Thanks guys, I'm learning and not too pround to ask for advice or criticism.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline HH~

Re: Bear hunting scenario question for you guys
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 06:38:34 am »
Sow's legal to hunt? Have cubs nearby?

Prolly eased out, if bears are working that area what food source are they on?

You hunting bait pile?

Lots of unknowns here.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:29:46 am »
Where are you hunting? I'm not a bear hunter but different regions would have different tactics. Here in the southeast you can look for large white oaks with lots of acorns. Look for broken tops in these trees or for other food sources like soft mast.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 10:43:21 am »
Hunting in the mountains of northern New Mexico.

Terrain: Alot of locust briars and scrub oak with intermittent thick patches of impassible dense new growth apsen.   A few old growth pine.  Lots of deadfall from a fire ten years past.  Rough and rocky, up and down canyons and hills.  Visibility for glassing is terrible because of all the scrub and whatnot.  Everything is very dry so it's like walking on cornflakes with every step.

The acorns are all gone, but we've noticed what we think are remnants of rose hips and seeds in some scat piles, as well as grasses.  Not sure what else they're eating right now.  Have not located a source of water in the area.

We are allowed to shoot females as long as they don't have cubs.

No baiting, but calling is legal.

We have found a couple of spots of poop repositories...must've been days of feeding.  But so far all scat is old and crusty.  Judging from how fast my dog's poo dries in the yard they're definitely no fresher than a week.

But we've sighted this bear 3 times now so irregardless of poop age, we know she's still in the area.

Let me know if this info helps or if there's more details.

-Homer Simpson-

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 12:39:27 pm »
Ive never hunted bear but Ive hunted lots of other stuff. I would have done just what you did.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 02:35:41 pm »
I've never hunted in NM but try to pattern her and see if she has a regular route going to and from bedding or a water source.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 02:50:25 pm »
Scat out west lasts for long long time on ground. Very arid. You can however tell fresh scat very easily. If your in high country bear will go to Oregon Grape soon and the western short Juniper. If in Pinion country they will hit those hard too. It must be hot right now. MT had 100 in middle of state and Red Flag everywhere.

I will wait til colder temps before I hot the high country. I like hunting in early snow.

Best of Luck

Hedge~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 03:22:39 pm »
Thanks guys,  appreciate all the replies.  This has been some of the most fun I've had hunting in a long time.  I'm goad I got out of my comfort zone.

This morning was a bust, but we did find more dried out scats.  Going to head back out this evening in a couple of hours, will update if I have more questions or we run in to a streak of luck.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 03:28:26 pm »
I will wait til colder temps before I hot the high country. I like hunting in early snow.

Archery bear runs until Sep 24th.  Then the season opens up for dogs and guns.   

We're also on a quota system broken down by zones.  Once the harvest number is reached, bear closes for that zone the year.  Once dog/gun season opens it's over in a matter of a couple weeks in my zone.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 09:04:32 pm »
No bear this evening but we did call in a mountain lion.  He was leas than 20 yards from me, and the first time I've seen one in the wild.  What a magnificent creature.

My buddy has a lion tag but either excitement or other factor, missed 3 shots with a .45 Colt revolver.

-Homer Simpson-

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 04:35:55 am »
that sound awesome!!
I heard that taking pictures and sharing on a online forum greatly enanches your hunting chances!!   (lol) (SH)

Offline HH~

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 06:02:26 am »
Dogs and selfbows sounds good to me. Most folks hunt bears off bait piles with bow. Canada's Meat and Potatoes for getting Americans to come up with bow. Just not an appealing way to hunt for me. Running dogs is! My fathers hunt and fishing partner ran dogs. Learned alot about the forest and moving long distances at night doing this. Learning how to judge terrain by how it felt under your boot rather than with an eye. Things a man who made his biz at night in the Jungle needs to know so to speak.

If bear are frequenting that area there's a food source. Break scat open and see what they are feeding on. Bears are funny. Once they get the icth by some onboard clock they will just up and bee line for a place they only know. Whether its to den up, time of year for sticky buns in someone's barrel or what I don t know. But you can cut there track and it will be on same azimuth for 20 miles.

Places in Northeast are loaded with black bears. Them folks just wont let you hunt them. Cept NH and Maine. NJ. CT, MA is choke with black bear!

Hedge~

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 06:28:22 pm »
that sound awesome!!
I heard that taking pictures and sharing on a online forum greatly enanches your hunting chances!!   (lol) (SH)

Ask and ye shall receive.

Uptaded in new post

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,68781.0.html
-Homer Simpson-