Author Topic: Atlatl I made  (Read 10136 times)

Offline Jacob1

Atlatl I made
« on: September 08, 2020, 05:56:50 pm »
The main body is red oak spur is ziricote and leather loops are just random scraps I had any constructive criticism is appreciated .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Atlatl I made
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 07:25:06 pm »
That's nice. Will you post a pic of the spur and the loops?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 11:49:49 pm »
Nice work!  That should cast a dart pretty well!  Some close ups would be cool!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 05:55:27 pm »
Here it is

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 05:57:49 pm »
Sorry keeps messing up

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 08:14:53 pm »
nice work. I haven't tried the basketmaker grip, are you throwing very heavy darts?

you should show pics of your darts. how do they fly?

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 07:44:14 am »
There not very heavy they are actually pretty light  it’s just a bamboo garden stake that was more solid than the others like no chunks missing  and I had screw in 100 grain target points for carbon arrows and then duct tape fletching

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 08:08:34 am »
Also just made a basket maker style just cause I looked up atlatl designs and it looked pretty interesting so I made it  (AT)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 12:30:26 pm »
You may want to try a longer, heavier dart, about as long as you are tall, or a bit shorter, and about the diameter of your little finger.  It isn't rocket science, just whatever works!  But throwing is fun and getting good is more fun!  Start close, maybe 7 - 10 yards or so!  I was able to afford more darts as I thought cast, chase, cast, chase was a bit slow!  Hopefully, there will be more time for the throwing and shooting as we get more settled in!  You may need to straighten your darts once n a while, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 02:37:33 pm »
They are the same relative height as me also where is a good place to get atlatl dart shafts

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 08:34:09 pm »
If I recall, the basketmaker is for lighter darts like you are throwing if they are as long as you are tall. Some of the target guys like seven foot darts, but I find  six foot work well enough for me. I started throwing with a eskimo spear thrower style and still throw with more of a grip on the thrower than the "flip" you get with the double leather loops. To each there own I guess. Actually, I don't think the throwers matter much, most of your effort should be in tuning the darts.

bamboo garden stakes seem like a pretty good way to go. most of my darts are cut from a 2x4 with a  table saw and tapered with a thumb plane. If you can find some 1/2" OD tubing, it makes good tips.

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 09:22:45 am »
I used bamboo garden stakes for mine