Author Topic: Need some advice for peck and grind  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Need some advice for peck and grind
« on: September 10, 2020, 10:06:20 pm »
Well I ain’t getting any more bow wood for 2 years so I decided to try something new. Quick question, what thickness do y’all shoot for when making axe heads? I’m guessing around 3/4’s of an inch?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Need some advice for peck and grind
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:11:13 pm »
I have some originals (actually I gave them to my son) about 5000 years old, they are closer to 1".

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 07:57:58 pm »
Did you make them Eric? Just a guess from you "too old" post. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 11:28:02 pm »
Ah crud, guess I’m starting over :NN

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 08:17:30 am »
Interesting story on the artifacts. I was looking a a village/mound site in the 70s (no laws) some one had dug a post hole sized test hole looking for a "arra" heads. They didn't know what they were doing. They had thrown a couple of mud covered rocks out of the hole but it had rained the night before I got there and washed off two beautiful ground and polished celts.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 04:57:40 pm »
I made an adze and an axe head from some Washington basalt left over from a job I was working on. First attempt and I think they came out OK. John

Offline Stoner

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 05:05:32 pm »
Washington Basalt

Offline Stoner

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 05:10:20 pm »
This is my first attempt with a rock I found on a bridge job I was working on here in OK. It was in the general shape when I started. John

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 10:19:47 am »
I don't think you can wrong on size.  They made some that seem too little, some that seem too big and lots inbetween.  I think smaller is better for a first project.

I like your ax, especially how you left the non-working end natural.  A lot of modern guys would try to make that look neater by making it more symmetric, but the old timers that actually used them couldn't care less.

I do think you maybe over ground the bit.  The angle is too acute and should be more arched, see:

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 11:08:28 am »
Well, haven’t thrown it out just yet so I’ll keep at it. Now that I think about, what rock have I been hitting?

Offline Stoner

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 05:20:27 pm »
Hummingbird Point, What is the book you referenced ? I had and still have no clue what I'm doing with this pecking thing. I used an old broken bench grinder stone to abrade / sand / grind. The model I used were from other members here and on the Leatherwall. They sent me pictures of found heads with rulers laying next to them. Just trying to match what our ancestors did. .....so easy even a cave man can do it! Or maybe an old stone carver. John

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 08:32:11 am »
Well, what I’ve been figuring out so far is that if something isn’t working, hit it harder